Chinese ultralight tents - what do you think?

mad85

Posted: Sat, Apr 2, 2016, 16:21

I am currently looking for the best affordable tent for my 10-day solo gr20 expedition. Among other options, there are the tents from Naturehike, a chinese brand. These are rated at around 1.5 kg for a 2 person freestanding tent and cost just around 100eur. Has anyone used them and are they tough enough?

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Apr 2, 2016, 19:54

Lightweight tents are usually fine on the GR20. I once saw someone using a cheap and colourful little tent that you would normally give to a child to play in the garden. His feet were sticking out of it, but you can't have everything, and I doubt it cost more than €30 from the toy store. The only thing you need to be sure of is whether it will stay up. If it has a sewn-in groundsheet, that WILL get shredded by the stones you'll be pitching on top of. Cut out a plastic sheet to put on the ground, and that will get shredded instead, and you can toss it in the bin when you're finished.

Harley1965

Posted: Sun, Apr 3, 2016, 14:01

Mad85

I have used a One man Gelert barrel tent for the past 2 years and using it again this year, it only weighs 1 Kg and cost me £25 pounds in a sale. I am 6ft 2 inch and 18 stone and it is fine for me, I can also get my Rucksack in which is a 65 ltr and all my equipment inside.

Last year we had a bit of a storm at Petra Piana and when I rose in the morning my tent was fine, a lot of the other more expensive tents were in a real poor state with poles snapped etc. Basically you are going in the mountains so lower the tent to the ground the better. The less room you have inside the more warmer you will also be on the colder nights.

--

Neil

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Apr 4, 2016, 16:23

Mad 85

A lot of the big brand tents are made in China. My lovely, robust, self standing, 1.4kg, cheap but unfrortunately no longer sold North Face Meso 22 tent was made in China. It was perfect on the GR20. It's a 2 man tent that I shared with my brother to keep the weight down so only 700g each. It may be a bit of a gamble going for an unknown brand but the YouTube videos look good, especially one of their tents performing well in a storm in Norway.

--

Alan

mad85

Posted: Tue, Apr 5, 2016, 15:33

yeah, I think so too. I am looking at other options, like the Rei Dash 2, which is a similar semi-freestanding tent.

spacecadet

Posted: Fri, Apr 22, 2016, 21:12

>> More or less off topic: <<

Uh oh i just read " f it has a sewn-in groundsheet, that WILL get shredded by the stones you'll be pitching on top of. "

i'm planning on taking my salewa tent with - of course - a sewn in ground sheet (you do mean the floor of the inner tent, or did i misunderstood) and in addition my favorite exped mat. Am i really going to ruin my gear? I never thought about that problem before ... what kind of plastic sheet can you recommend? I don't want to get my fav gear fucked up ... :(
(And in addition, i'm going to borrow my spare gear to my company :O )

On Topic:
Check out the reviews on amazon.com ... "chinese water torture" sounds like a most vivid description ;)