Parc corse website is down. Alternate ways of booking accommodation

Hugh92

Posted: Sun, Apr 3, 2016, 12:13

Hey guys,

I'm amidst planning to hike the GR20 in July-August 2016
My main question is about the parc-corse website.

I was on it last week attempting to get to grips with its horrible user interface, and then on Thursday/Friday I couldn't access the site at all. Aside from it appearing on Google search results you can't access the site.

My only guess is that it's down for maintenance?

Does anyone know anything about this? And if so how long to expect it to be down for?

Thanks in advance!

Hugh92

dwilson1234

Posted: Sun, Apr 3, 2016, 15:45

The website seems down for me also. They seemed to imply it might go down for them to enable the proper booking of refuges over the internet as that was off before 1st April. They also say you can email your requirements but guess it might come back soon.

Hugh92

Posted: Sun, Apr 3, 2016, 17:40

Thanks for the response dwilson. Good to know that it isn't just me that can't access it!

Do you happen to know what the best e-mail address is to contact them on?

dwilson1234

Posted: Mon, Apr 4, 2016, 19:35

Sorry - I have only seen the email on the website and that is down!

Michele

Posted: Thu, Apr 7, 2016, 15:59

A notice on the randoblog page says to be patient because the site will be up soon. They are sorry for the inconvenience.

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Apr 11, 2016, 16:51

It seems to be back now.

dwilson1234

Posted: Tue, Apr 12, 2016, 21:26

The parc corse website is up now. I can understand the
refuges but don't understand the bivouac and tent bookings.
Are the tents those that the refuge can provide and are bivouac
bookings for those bringing their own tents?

The french on the booking site has this:

Nombre de couchages refuges

Nombre de couchages en bivouac
(Emplacement par personne)

Nb. location tente (2 places + matelas)
(En sus du couchage bivouac)

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Apr 12, 2016, 21:42

An 'emplacement' is simply a space where you pitch your own tent.

'Location tente' is a hire tent, which is already pitched, and is for two people, and contains a thick mattress.

Sometimes, when it gets very busy, all the pre-pitched hire tents will be full, but they might still have some spare ones that you can hire, but you have to go and pitch them yourself, and the leftover spaces will usually be quite bad.

pburns11

Posted: Wed, Apr 13, 2016, 15:29

The website is up but without a translation I am struggling so any help would be appreciated

Although the start date is not yet fixed, I hope to walk the complete route north to south in June, staying each night in a refuge. The first bookings would be done before setting out but could the rest be done as and how I progress?. And is payment at the time of booking or on the day?. Finally is a sleeping bag essential or are sheets/ blankets available?

Thanks, Peter

--

peter

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 13, 2016, 20:19

Hello,
Although having been to the area three times I have always had my own tent and kit so haven't done any prior arrangement for overnights. With the tent you turn-up pay for the bivouac and take your chances with the usable sites.
I think that you have to book and pay in advance for the entire journey if using the refuge. What happens if you can't keep to your schedule, hold ups with weather or whatever, you would need someone familiar with the system to keep you right.
I wouldn't travel without a sleeping bag even if blankets were available.
Try typing in a search question.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Apr 13, 2016, 20:57

Peter,

as far as I know it's not possible to book while you're on the way (unless someone else does that for you from home). But even so, be aware that chances are the refuges might get full before you can place your reservation: that's why bookings should be made as early as possible.

--Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Apr 14, 2016, 4:52

Bedding is NOT supplied in the refuges. You only get a bunk and a mattress. If you hire a tent, you only get a mattress.

dwilson1234

Posted: Thu, Apr 14, 2016, 7:41

When I have been in alpine refuges or French Pyrenees I have only needed a sheet sleeping bag for the refuges as they have provided blankets. Is that not true of Corsica?

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Apr 14, 2016, 7:51

Alpine and Pyrenean refuges are far superior to Corsican refuges. There are no blankets in Corsican refuges. You only get a bunk with a mattress. If you take a sheet sleeping bag, then that is what you'll be sleeping in, with no other coverings.

pburns11

Posted: Thu, Apr 14, 2016, 20:06

Thank you all for the replies.

I can't say I was surprised but had hoped I could wing it for the odd day here or there. And the need for a sleeping bag is a pain as I'll have to carry it through Italy for over four weeks prior.

I would like to have at least one rest day, any suggestions where best to stop to get some taste of the culture/history of the island?.

Peter

--

peter

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Apr 15, 2016, 5:27

Hello.
A summer-weight down sleeping bag perhaps?
I have taken a day out at Vizzavona when coming from the North (9days). Train down to East to Corte the very old head town on the Island or, the newer, westwards to Ajaccio. Corte has an interesting Citadel and plenty on the visionary Corsican Pascal Paoli.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Apr 15, 2016, 6:30

Yeah - it has to be Corte for culture and history. You won't be disappointed.

pburns11

Posted: Fri, Apr 15, 2016, 19:47

Thanks,

Corte sounds interesting.

Peter

--

peter

pburns11

Posted: Sun, Apr 24, 2016, 16:54

Afternoon All,

Since my last post on the 14th the date of arrival in Bastia has been settled and I've since spent long days and nights trying to book the trip end to end. It's been very frustrating due, to a large extent, my complete lack of French, being so slow on the computer -I'm like a blind man in a maze - and the need to sleep in the refuges in the first place. Last Wednesday I was ready to give up when on hitting a key there appeared the number of bookings & beds for the PNRC refuge being looked at, eureka!. Charting days from the start date against the vacancies in each refuge it was possible to plot most of the route and complete the booking/payment process.

But there are still gaps and areas where advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bastia to Calenzana There is an 09.45 train to Calvi but being a low season Saturday, no buses from there to Calenzana. The train stops at Camp Raffalli GR20 around 12.41 so walking would be feasible. Is that the closest stop to the D451?.

Calenzana I've rang the Gite d'Etape Municipal numerous times without success. 04 95 62 77 13 gives a recorded message and 04 9562 70 08 a message followed by music which I assume, means I'm in a queue, but I could be wrong. In any case after a few minutes I'm cut off from this end. ?. I've sent two emails, the first four days ago, with a response.

Closure of the Cirque de la Solitude Cicerone has a blog from Paddy Dillon outlining the new path and tying it in to his guide book but I cannot find it again! Is there anything on the new path to look out for?.

Vizavona Have booked two nights in Gite Le Gare so I can have a day in Corte. Surprisingly easy. A quick,short phone call to madame and when checked, even the trains are at convenient times

Refuge Di Verdi Is still pending, if there is no reply any thoughts on pushing on to Refuge de Prati?. If it still has vacancies.

Refuge de Asinau and beyond Is there alternative accommodation, where is it, how do I make contact? and how would I get from there to Gite Les Aiguilies de Bavella?.

Thank you for reading this far and any help would be gratefully received.

Peter

--

peter

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 24, 2016, 20:20

Hello,
I can't help you with all of this....perhaps some.
There is always a taxi available in Calvi to get to Calinzana.
I have walked the road from Calinzana down to Calvi....narrow and not always a verge....I received a lift from a passing motorist down to the main road into Calvi.
The new path is well marked....I have seen images from the PNRC. When I went to Cintu prior to the change of route although not well marked the route was easy to follow to the 2600mtr. Col.
There are several places to stay at Col di Verdi.....I only camped there...but many folks in buildings and also a restaurant which is close to a road so many visitors not doing the GR20.
There are three other places to stay prior to Asinao....Bassetta, Matalza and Crocu Bergeries that is closest to Asinao. I have camped at Crucu after coming up from Asinao and visiting Monte Alcudina when travelling S-N.
Oh, there is also a bergeries below Asinao that mainly deals with groups of walkers.

I know that this will not be all that helpful....but travelling with a tent and kit as I have always done is so much easier....I throw a few things into a rucksack, some food, get a can of gas in Calvi or where-ever....set off and buy food or purchase a meal in a refuge....pay the camping at the refuge...and walk.
No hassle with booking etc. It is only when I hear of the problems is that I see what I have missed.:-(
The main thing with the GR20 is to be fit and have 'done the mileage' prior to coming to the island.

--

Gaffr

pburns11

Posted: Tue, Apr 26, 2016, 19:05

Thanks Gaffr,

Every little helps as they say and now I feel a bit more confident about walking to Calenzana, with due care of course.

And that's not all, I looked again at the email address used for the Refuge di Verde and the delay was my fault. When corrected, a reply came very quickly and another piece of the jigsaw feel into place. Plus, at 4.30 this afternoon I dialled 04 95 62 77 17 for the umpteenth time and suddenly I had a place in the Calenzana gite provided, 'I arrive before 7pm'!.

So I'm now booked through to Refuge D'Usciolu and if the worst comes to the worst I can finish there and make my way to Cozzano but I would like to end at Conca. Does anyone have a phone number or email address for the Bergeries d'Asinau?. I can find everything about them online except how to contact them. If not the Bergeries is there other accommodation within reasonable walking distance given I'm coming direct from d'Usciolu?.

I envy the flexibility that camping gives but I'm pushing on a bit and looking to travel as light as possible.

--

peter

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 26, 2016, 19:33

Hello,
The Bergeries Asinao, can be seen a little below Asinao refuge now burned down, is described as a very basic place to stay with twenty beds. I would be surprised if there is any wired contact to there? But I guess that there must be some way of reaching the place since guided parties seem to stay there.
Berg. Bassetta, refuge Matalza and Berg. Croce are all marked on boards on the main trail from Usciolu and Asinao. I have only ever stayed at Croce which for you would be the closest one to Asinao. There is a trail via Cavallara berg. which will take you there from the main trail.
There is a path from the berg. up to the col above Asinao.....I left my pack at the col and took in Monte Alcudina....regained my pack and dropped down to Asinao.
It is quite a descent to reach Cozzano and of course to regain the trail again takes time.
See OT4253 1:25,000 IGN Map.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 26, 2016, 19:47

www.gr20-croci.com or something like that for bergeries croci

Both Bassetta and Matalza have some contact through the web.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Apr 26, 2016, 21:15

Try this number for the Bergeries d'Asinau 06 17 53 98 92.

yogie

Posted: Wed, Apr 27, 2016, 8:18

Hi Pburn11 and all,

How do you made reservation at Gite Le Gare Vizzavona ? I called 0624121627 but the no. incorrect.

Thanks.

Yogie

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 27, 2016, 9:11

Hello,
Never stayed there....the phone number in my Dillon book is 04 95 47 22 20

--

Gaffr

pburns11

Posted: Wed, Apr 27, 2016, 11:22

Gaffr

Thank you, I was just about to try making a similar sounding web address when GRRR 20's message arrived ...

GRRR 20

Thank you as well. That number worked a treat, answered in seconds and despite my appalling French, a booking was made, or least I think so.

With Bavella already in place that only left Conca which I completed a few minutes ago.

It has taken over a fortnight to do but I'm now booked from end to end starting 18th June in Calenzana ending Conca 6th July. My thanks to everyone for the help.

Yogie,

The number given by Gffr is the one I used and making a booking was quite straightforward.

--

peter

Basia

Posted: Sat, Apr 30, 2016, 15:49

Hi Dwilson,

Concerning the tents/emplacement issues, I also booked and can help you with the translation:

Nombre de couchages refuges: if you want to sleep in the refuges (number of persons)

(Emplacement par personne): if you want to sleep in a tent (you own or a hired one) here you need to mention for how many people (even if you will sleep with two in one tent you need to mention how many persons!)

Nb. location tente (2 places + matelas): if you want to hire a tent (one tent for 2 persons!) you need to mention how many tents you need.

So if you want to hire a tent for 2 persons: you need to add 2 emplacements/couchages en bivouac and 1 location tente. If you bring your own tent you only need to mention 2 couchages en bivouac.

Good luck! :)

--

Barbara

Basia

Posted: Sat, Apr 30, 2016, 15:49

Hi Dwilson,

Concerning the tents/emplacement issues, I also booked and can help you with the translation:

Nombre de couchages refuges: if you want to sleep in the refuges (number of persons)

(Emplacement par personne): if you want to sleep in a tent (you own or a hired one) here you need to mention for how many people (even if you will sleep with two in one tent you need to mention how many persons!)

Nb. location tente (2 places + matelas): if you want to hire a tent (one tent for 2 persons!) you need to mention how many tents you need.

So if you want to hire a tent for 2 persons: you need to add 2 emplacements/couchages en bivouac and 1 location tente. If you bring your own tent you only need to mention 2 couchages en bivouac.

Good luck! :)

--

Barbara