First walk in Corsica

weemalkie

Posted: Mon, Apr 4, 2016, 19:27

Hi,
My wife and I are planning to walk from Evisa to Galeria in May this year. We are part of a guided tour but we would appreciate any information regarding how tough the walk is and any specific equipment we should/must take. We are both in our late 60's and moderately fit. My wife has done the West Highland Way and the Great Glen for example and I enjoy a Munro or two. Many thanks.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 4, 2016, 21:48

Hello,
You should have no problems with your first day, Evisa down through the Spelunca gorge on the ancient mule trail to Ota perhaps? thereafter Serriera, Curzu which includes a bit of ascending and descending. Uphill stuff after Curzu to the col at around 800mtrs. then down to the Bocca a Croce on the Variant. Cross the road at Croce and pleasantly down to the sea at Girolata...a real highlight. Uphill to the high ground at around 700mtrs (very fine viewing area) then descend to Galeria.
I had to think of this route in reverse since we did the Mare e Monti route in its entirety from Calinzana to Cargese.
The route you are planning contains some of the finest sections of the 10 day full route.
Boots and walking poles would be useful.

--

Gaffr

weemalkie

Posted: Tue, Apr 5, 2016, 8:34

Many thanks Gaffr,

Sounds as though it should be no problem for us. Looking forward to the walk and the fine views. Hopefully the weather will be a bit better than at home just now! We will be taking strong walking shoes and poles. Your advice and route description greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sandy