4 days hike end of April and camping

Claudia

Posted: Mon, Apr 4, 2016, 19:32

Hello,
We'll be visiting Corsica at the end of April for a week. During that time we'd love to do a 3-4 days hike. Does anybody have any recommendations about trails that are best to do that early in spring? Also, we'd like to camp during that time. Does anybody know of any good camp base from which we could either do single hiking days or have any other camp ground recommendations? Did a bit of research and saw that a lot of camp sites only open up at the beginning of May or so. :-/

Any help is greatly appreciated. :-)

Thank you.

--

Claudia

Steve Dan

Posted: Wed, Apr 6, 2016, 21:11

Hi Claudia.
A couple of years ago I pitched in Corte for a few days. With local walking and jumping on the train to daywalk from villages further up the line, it made a great base. The gite d'etape and camping at U Tavinganu will certainly be open when you arrive. Nice and quiet, away from the road, hot showers. There will even be grass on the campsite in April!
In adittion, the campsites at A Sega, Aquaviva ( Calacuccia) and Castel di Verghio all start to open from mid April.
In fact, if you do decide to hit the trail, Corte- A Sega- Calacuccia -Verghio and back to A Sega via Lac de Nino would make for a very enjoyable circuit.
Steve

Claudia

Posted: Mon, Apr 18, 2016, 10:13

Hi Steve

Thank you for your tipps, that sounds all lovely. And Corte seems like a very good base, so most likely I think we'll check it out. Good to hear as well that many camp grounds will already be open, was indeed a bit worried about that. Only one week till we are off, very excited already.
Thanks again and have a nice day.
Claudia

--

Claudia

Steve Dan

Posted: Mon, Apr 18, 2016, 19:57

Claudia.
All the campsites I mentioned are on the Mare a Mare Nord long distance path.They tend to open early in the season, as the steady stream of trekkers starts to trickle through on their coast to coast epic.
Have a great trip, and send us a post
Steve

Claudia

Posted: Mon, Apr 25, 2016, 21:54

Thank you very much Steve. So many options and so little time, it all just sounds so beautiful. :-)

--

Claudia

Steve Dan

Posted: Tue, May 24, 2016, 6:32

Hi Claudia
On May 17th I walked down from A Sega to Corte and was disappointed to find the camping at U Tavinganu, which I recommended to you, was not quite ready to open. I was offered the gite d'etape but instead headed down and camped at Restonica. I also noted that the Chez Bartez site had a 'ferme' sign outside it's gate. I hope this did'nt cause you too many problems. What did you do with your time on the island?
Steve.

Claudia

Posted: Sun, May 29, 2016, 9:47

Hey Steve

Thank you for your message. Actually, we had a great time in Corsica even though the weather was still quite unstable. As you, however we noted too that many places were still closed or only in the process of opening up. Some people told us that due to the not so good weather many tourists failed to come over so maybe that was why? One can only assume. We spent some time in the South (Bonifaccio) first and then headed up to Corte where we found this beautiful camp ground close to Venaco:
http://campingvenaco.e-monsite.com
We had a lovely time there and did some hiking in Gorges Tavinganu and Gorges Restonica too. Also, we realized 1 week is too short for such a beautiful Island like Corsica so we definitely need to go back another time. :-) How long for where you there in May?

Best regards

--

Claudia

Steve Dan

Posted: Mon, May 30, 2016, 19:39

Hi Claudia.
I flew out on May 8th for two weeks and spent nine days walking from L'ille Rousse to Corte,followed by a few days birding round Lake Bigulia, camping at Esperanza for four nights. Even two weeks does'nt feel long enough. So much to see and do in Corsica. So glad to hear you had such a good time. You must give it two weeks next time and set out on the trail.
Steve