GR20 Conditions May 22 - June 5

corsica4321

Posted: Tue, Apr 5, 2016, 0:20

I have the opportunity to hike the GR20 trail from May 22 - June 5, 2016 with a friend.

We are wondering what the predictions for weather conditions will be this spring based on the current snow levels.

I understand that early season weather is always unpredictable, but since I will be arriving 1.5 months from now, I was hoping there would be some indications on what conditions we may expect and if the transportation and sleeping accommodations will be open. Has it been a mild winter?

We are familiar with hiking on snow, and can bring a tent, stove, and crampons if needed. We are mainly concerned if the trail may be completely not accessible, if transportation has not started, or if all of the refuges will be closed.

This will be my first time in Corsica. Thanks for the help.

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 5, 2016, 7:29

Hello,
My own way of looking at what the snow cover in May might be is to keep in touch with the images produced by the folks working for PNRC on the website PNRC Randoblog. In 2013, 1st. of June, when being aware of the situation at the Northern end of the trail I went south and began the trail from Conca. In the middle of June when reaching the northern area walking poles were all that I needed.
Each season is different in early June 2008 and starting at Calinzana we met folks in the village who had completed the trail when beginning in Conca.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Apr 5, 2016, 8:31

I started the GR20 at the end of May once, and it was touch and go, with dangerous snow and ice on the highest parts. At the same time, I met three trekkers who were on their third attempt at the GR20. On two previous occasions they started at the end of May, and found too much snow and ice on the mountains. All you can do is check the Randoblog, as mentioned above, and try and have a flexible plan that you can alter as soon as you reach Corsica.

corsica4321

Posted: Tue, Apr 5, 2016, 13:19

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there any way to know at the current time which refuges will be open? Do they typically open on June 1st, or is the open date based on conditions? If they are not open is it possible to stay in them or camp nearby in a tent?

Michele

Posted: Tue, Apr 5, 2016, 14:48

Hi,

all refuges traditionally tend to open a few days before the season begins. Especially if the weather is fine. When not staffed the buildings are open and - of course - it's always possible to camp nearby.