Booking accommodation before you go

JNewman

Posted: Wed, Apr 13, 2016, 21:19

I understand that we need to book accommodation before we start the GR20 route. Does anyone know what happens if you are delayed by weather and turn up a day later that you had planned.

Michele

Posted: Thu, Apr 14, 2016, 5:50

The guardians will do their best to help you, but only after having accomodated those already booked for the day. And things might get complicated if there's a bunch of you.

JNewman

Posted: Mon, Apr 18, 2016, 9:28

Hi Michele. Thanks for the reply. Jeannette

tmoll000@gmail.com

Posted: Wed, May 25, 2016, 20:28

I just wondered if one has to book for the camsites around the refuges as well....?

--

Thorsten

Tarjei

Posted: Wed, May 25, 2016, 21:21

No, no need to book in advance when using the campsites. You need to pay a fee to camp there, though.

Tarjei

Harley1965

Posted: Thu, May 26, 2016, 17:11

Like Tarjei says no need to book in advance, just walk fast if you want a decent pitch.

--

Neil

tmoll000@gmail.com

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 8:04

Walk fast like in not having time to enjoy the scenery? B-)

--

Thorsten

Tarjei

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 10:36

The GR20 is not a race, don't haste to get to the refuges as fast as possible.
Other hikers may walk as fast as they can to secure the best place to pitch their tent, but really this is not how you should do the GR20. The scenery is to be savoured and enjoyed.

I also experienced that a lot of hikers woke up early and raced to get early to the next place, only to be sitting there waiting for the rest of the day. For my part, I really don't understand why they're doing the trail in the first place.

I only had trouble at Carouzzo finding a good place for my tent, but it went fine.

Tarjei

tmoll000@gmail.com

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 10:45

Anyway i guess, that lack of decent tentpiches isn't that big an issue in mid june - or am i "rookie-wrong"? B-)

--

Thorsten

Michele

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 12:05

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong but I have the distinct impression that there is no slow season anymore like a few years ago (well, maybe September?)

tmoll000@gmail.com

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 12:59

Good to know

--

Thorsten

Harley1965

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 16:50

Thorsten

I did not mean walk fast, I was being sarcastic. I walk very slow and enjoy the scenery stopping off, to enjoy the views at every opportunity when ever I can, I was nearly always last in every day to get my pitch, but that said you will always find a spot, even if it is not ideal.

The GR20 as all walks are to be savoured, it can just be a bit frustrating at the end of your day trying to find a spot even in Mid June when I went last year refuges like Vallone sheppherds cabins, Manganu and Petra Piana were packed.

That said it cannot be that bad I am returning again this year for the third time, although I am going in July rather than June. It is a magical walk.

--

Neil

Michele

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 17:16

Yes, finding a "decent" spot is always a royal pita. And what's even more frustrating is that the Park people don't seem to care about us campers and the uncontrolled number of people crowding this trail!!!

I heard of a long term project to rebuild and/or restructure the huts and not a single word about campsites!!!!

--Michele