Mare e Monti in May

flowergirl

Posted: Sun, Apr 17, 2016, 2:19

We are doing the Mare e Monti in May and we have some accommodation booked. Some gites are not on email only phone. How busy is it likely to be at this time and can we just book a few days ahead when we arrive?

Is there electricity at the gites each night to recharge camera batteries and phones?

How much water do you need to carry each day and would a water filter be a good item to carry? Thanks

--

flowergirl

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 17, 2016, 8:06

Hello,
It was the third week of may when we went to the MM Nord in 2009.
We used tent much of the time but did take a few meals in the hostels and stayed in a couple when camping was not available.
There was quite a bit of group usage so several were all booked in advance.
Serriera, where there was two gites both full, we had to walk a couple of kls down towards the sea for an accommodation that had many spaces.
All I have are the phone numbers for the hostels.
If you want to ask more I could look up my Topo guide...Entre mer et montagne.
We were never stuck for accommodation.

--

Gaffr

flowergirl

Posted: Sun, Apr 17, 2016, 9:03

Thank you Gaffr, we are not taking a tent so will be relying on gites or other accommodation. I have all the phone numbers but I don't want to phone from overseas so I'll wait till we are there.

--

flowergirl

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 17, 2016, 12:08

hello,
You asked about water and charging camera etc.
I carried a spare charged up battery on all of my Corsican trips but didn't take a phone but I am sure that it would be possible to do in the gites.
Water....we found this to be obviously available at any of the hostels we stayed at or during the day from fountains in the villages and at 'sources' during the walk....and once from a house en route.

--

Gaffr

Steve Dan

Posted: Sun, Apr 17, 2016, 20:23

Hello flowergirl.
I walked the Tra Mare e Monti last year between 3rd and 13th of May and did'nt find the route too busy for most of the time. There were only six others who'd set off from Calenzana that day. Some had booked through the whole route, while others were booking a day or so ahead. The only large group I encountered was engulfing the gite at Evisa as I was passing by en- route to Maringana. I think you would be wise to book a few days ahead, just in case!
Using the camera on my phone for the trip, I never had a problem finding power. I charged up at Calenzana, Bonifatu, Tuarelli, Ota and Maringnana.The only place I have doubts about is E Case. I do'nt recall wether they had power or not.
As far as water goes, I'm happy enough to carry all that I need for the day, usually around two litres for me. There springs on the trails but some are close to the start , some are weak, and others are off the path and not easy to find. I'd say a filter would come in usefull. Saves all that scrambling about it the maquis.
Hope you have a great hike. When do you start?
Steve.

flowergirl

Posted: Sun, Apr 17, 2016, 21:30

Thank you for the information! We start the walk on 26/5. To get to the start of the walk did you catch the school bus from Calvi to Calenzana?

--

flowergirl

Steve Dan

Posted: Mon, Apr 18, 2016, 4:26

My Sunday arrival in Calvi meant I had to take a taxi to Calenzana( 40 euros).
If you arrive on a weekday you'll be able to use the bus.
Steve.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 18, 2016, 8:45

Hello,
We camped at E Case and had the refuge breakfast on the outside table ..... from what I recall there was a generator for the power in the wee refuge...a real wee gem of a refuge/area quite different from all the others on the route.
I think that the guardian comes in, cross country, from the road end at Revinda on a four wheeled motor bike thing.

--

Gaffr