Splitting cabin Nice>Porto Vecchio June 6?

Backstroke

Posted: Tue, May 10, 2016, 6:19

I intend to take the June 6 boat from Nice to Porto Vecchio. Has anyone reserved a cabin they might want to share or anticipate needing a cabin? I will hold off a few days before reserving. If you are going on this boat I will probably be bumping into you a few times over the next 12 days!

cameron_mcnall at hotmail dot com

Danton

Posted: Wed, May 11, 2016, 13:07

Hi Cameron,

I'll be getting the 1900hrs ferry from Nice to Porto Vecchio. Is this the one you're on?

I haven't bothered booking a cabin, I was thinking they might have those reclining seats you sometimes get on ferries and just get my sleeping bag out.

On another note, are you bothering to book refuges in advance? I haven't done that either . . . Guessing that it's not going to be too busy so it leaves me the freedom of changing my schedule if I want.

Also, do you know if it is easy to get a bus from Porto Vecchio to Conca?

Thanks,

Cormac

Backstroke

Posted: Wed, May 11, 2016, 17:22

Hi Danton
-Yes, I get off a plane at 5:25, and have to race over for the 7 PM boat. Distance is not too far-hope to pick up some wine, whiskey, and alcool a bruler along the way. Hopefully there is a market right at the quai- or I could convince you to pick up something?

-I planned on renting one of the Top Class cabins- appears to be all they offer, or offer at this moment. 86 quid, split two ways not so bad? This is vacation after all.

-It has been indicated to me that it is easy to get to Conca from Porto Vecchio

-I don't plan on staying in any refuge, taking a tarp, but may do a hotel along the way if available. I am doing research planning about likely stages and off-trail stuff, but I like going free-form.

This is vacation after all.

Backstroke

Posted: Wed, May 11, 2016, 17:24

Repeat

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, May 11, 2016, 18:55

Cameron

The ferries go from the commercial port which is the other side of the centre of Nice from the airport (about 8 miles). It took us at least 40 minutes waiting for a bus and then journeying into the centre and it would have been another 30 minutes walk to the port if you know the way. Given you're tight timings, you might have to resort to a taxi. There is a small supermarket near the port if you have time. As a last resort, you can get wine and whiskey on board in the ferry shop.

The port is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.6946011,7.2836958,697m/data=!3m1!1e3

Our ferry to Bastia went from the other quay so you'll need to check which one the Porto Vecchia ferry leaves from.

The supermarket on Rue Fodere is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.6991447,7.2873055,695m/data=!3m1!1e3

--

Alan

Backstroke

Posted: Thu, May 12, 2016, 6:29

Yes Alan, I figured on hoofing it in a cab for sure.

I see the Intermarche, and I also see an Utile on Rue de L'Azare and a SPAR on Rue Cassini. Easy.

The map also shows where the Nice-L'Isle Rousse boat is. Isn't the internet amazing?

The wine in any of the supermarches may not be fantastic, but even a semi-cheap bottle of Gigondas would be awesome.

But I can't remember, do they sell hard spirits in supermarches? I'd rather not drink rotgut.

Important considerations, these

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 12, 2016, 7:29

Hello,
Wine and whisky....sounds like the worst way of getting a quick start to the GR20 :-)

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, May 15, 2016, 19:17

Cameron

Got to get the priorities right! I seem to recall the Intermarche had a selection of spirits but maybe not so hot on single malt whiskies. The refuges sell half decent red wine by the half litre so no need to carry that.

--

Alan

Backstroke

Posted: Thu, May 19, 2016, 1:56

So, mediocre whiskey and half-decent wine.

I am beginning to understand why they call the GR20 the most difficult trail in Europe-