Camping gas and an alternative transport Bastia-> Conca

Jana

Posted: Wed, May 11, 2016, 20:35

Hello,
we plan to start the GR20 from the south on 29th May. We will arrive to Bastia on the afternoon 28th May. I would be very thankful if you could give me a little bit of advice:
1) Where can we buy camping gas on the way Bastia-Conca? Is it also available on the refuges on the track?
2) Is there any alternative way of transport from Bastia to Conca on Saturday in the afternoon? We will arrive too late for the last bus and the car hire companies seem all to be closed on Saturday evening in Porto Vecchia. Is a taxi extremely expensive? How much would it cost approximately?
3)Do we have to register to the refuges even though we want to sleep in our own tents?
4)Will the refuges be open in the beginning of June?

Thank you very much. :)

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 11, 2016, 20:53

Hello,
Only been once from the South in 2013.
Same problem regarding transport on Sunday afternoon.
I tried to 'tap' some of those hiring cars at the airport for a hitch South ...no success.
Walked out to the old road beyond the new Dual carriageway and walked up to the Fork in the road to Ponte Vecchio and started hitching beyond the PV turn.
Got a lift to Moriani and camped there after deciding to get on the morning bus down to the village prior to Conca.
I was using the Blue French stove and got a couple of gas cartridges in a garage in Moriani.
I did see at the Conca camping several of different types of partly used screw on type gas cans which would keep you going.
On arrival at the refuge receive your receipt for your camping pitch...around seven Euros in 2013.
I arrived on the 1st of June and refuges were running.
On other occasions in late May and early June from the North the refuges were up and running.

--

Gaffr

Jana

Posted: Mon, May 23, 2016, 10:40

Thanks a lot!