More news from Paddy Dillon regarding the Cirque de la Solitude and the GR20

Tarjei

Posted: Thu, May 26, 2016, 11:34

Cicerone has posted a new blog post by Paddy Dillon about the status of the Cirque de la Solitude, GR20 and the official route:

http://blog.cicerone.co.uk/2016/05/gr20-route-changes-mean-end-era/.

It's as I sort of thought it would be after last years awful event, that the cirque would not longer be a part of the official route.

That being said, I'm glad that I got to experience the traverse of the cirque.

Tarjei

Michele

Posted: Thu, May 26, 2016, 11:59

Thanks Tarjei for the heads up!!! Very interesting reading. It is worth adding that the cicerone blog also points to a downloadable extract from PD's new book with the route description of the new Asco-Tighjettu route.

Also, nice of PD to mention this forum.

Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 26, 2016, 14:31

It is a big responsibility for guide book writers/publishers to keep all folks clear on the changes to a popular walkers route. Especially so after the catastrophic events on the GR20 in the Cirque last summer.
Those purchasing the new version of the PD guide going to the traverse for the first time will have a complete up to date version of the stages to follow.
As we can see from comments on here that many walkers have such an affection for the route and do seem to return often to Corsica. This announcement will keep all those with the older versions of the guide up to date with events.
It is good to have this information on here an to have the download available.
Many thanks to Cicerone.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, May 26, 2016, 19:27

I count myself fortunate to be a part of the 'CDS' club.
I loved that particular stage.
I also think it was a major worry for a large proportion of trekkers who dreaded having to do it.
The new section seems to be much more in keeping with the rest. It's tough but not so scary.
Tragic for the poor people caught in the landslide but better for the GR20 and something to come back for maybe?

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Thu, May 26, 2016, 20:09

I still wonder what are the dangerous parts of the new route if there are any. I heard there are some ominous granite slabs, notoriously slippery if wet, but what about the rest? I don't worry about the chain protected sections .... the steep and scrambling slopes, maybe?

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 6:09

Hello Michele,
When my wife and travelled the GR20 in 2007 from the North we took the, at that time, the standard route for stage 4 and reached Tighettu where we camped. We met a couple Belgian folks there who had, like us, come to Tighettu one day earlier by the same route via the Cirque.
They had spent a day reaching Monte Cintu from the refuge, minus their packs, by the way that the route now follows on the redesigned GR20.
They were strong walkers and were not regular visitors to mountain areas.
We met with them and had some banter all the way down to Vizzavona....they were fun loving guys who unlike ourselves seemed to enjoy copious amounts of beer.
They did send us some images of the journey of which some of them were of the route....Tighettu to Cintu. I think that I may have sent a few of these to you some time ago?

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 7:11

Hi Roger, that mail was dated 21 June 2015. Indeed I found them. Thanks for reminding me!!

--Michele

Tarjei

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 17:35

Michele, isn't it just so that it's a long, steep and ardous stage. And that it could be dangerous in bad weather, since you're more exposed to the elements on it?

Tarjei

Michele

Posted: Fri, May 27, 2016, 17:54

Tarjei, actually a friend of mine - who did it last year - told me about some unprotected granite slabs where he didn't feel so comfortable. But, of course, it might have been just his impression. I really look forward to returning to The Trail asap and see it for myself.

--Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, May 30, 2016, 16:21

The new route over Monte Cinto is being provided free of charge by Cicerone.
http://blog.cicerone.co.uk/2016/05/gr20-route-changes-mean-end-era/