Mobile phone reception

Bruce the Kiwi

Posted: Sun, May 29, 2016, 14:10

Greetings

I am going from Vizzavona to Conca late June.

Can anyone advise what points along the route mobile phone reception or wifi can be found?

I am keen to let family know I am okay with the occasional text.

It would also be useful to know locations where I could call for help in an emergency.

Many thanks

Bruce

--

Kiwi Bruce

"Feeling LOW?
Go on mountains.”
― Prajakta Mhadnak

Bruce the Kiwi

Posted: Tue, May 31, 2016, 10:10

I found the SFR coverage map.

http://assistance.sfr.fr/runtime/mobile-et-tablette/reseau-sfr/couvertur...

This seems to suggest I will probably be able to find a place to send an SMS every day.

--

Kiwi Bruce
"Feeling LOW?
Go on mountains.”
― Prajakta Mhadnak

petermcl

Posted: Tue, May 31, 2016, 18:44

Hi Bruce,

Try the deck at gite d'etape U Fugone at Capanelle, where you get a bit of a line of sight down to the eastern coastal plain. I saw someone making a call from just above the refuge de Prati (on the approach to the refuge). You may get a few spots along the ridge from Prati as far as Bocca di Laparo because you can see the plain on one side and some villages in the central valley on the other for a lot of the way. I also got a good signal at Monte Incudine just before dropping down to Asinau. Take care of your battery.

Have a good one.
Peter..

--

Regards,
petermcl.

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, May 31, 2016, 19:53

Never had to make a phone call from the GR20, or needed to keep in touch with the outside world. I once watched someone make a call from Bocca di Muvrella and I assume this was possible because of a line of sight to the coast near Calvi.

Michele

Posted: Wed, Jun 1, 2016, 9:33

Bruce,
the rule of thumb is to reach an elevated spot (higher is better) in theoretical line of sight towards the villages below and their cell towers - because the frequency used by cellphones doesn't like obstacles - and then turn the phone on. You should get a signal.