Snow conditions on the first week of June on Mt Cinto and Bocca a e Porte

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jun 7, 2016, 14:15

At this link: http://www.altre-cime.com/2016/06/neige-gr20-nord/#! you will see the current snow situation in those areas.
Also a word of warning is given: slippery rocks and creeks difficult to ford because of fierce water.

As a personal note I still don't see the point of going with such poor weather! Danger everywhere and no visibility. Is this enjoyable?

--Michele

obrobinson

Posted: Tue, Jun 7, 2016, 15:08

Although I can appreciate Michele's point of view, the conditions on the GR20 are no more than one would expect at this time of year if you were trekking on mainland continental Europe. It does, however, impress the importance to be correctly equipped. Namely, the use of proper crampons and/or an ice axe, although in my experience the use of walking poles with crampons should suffice. N.B. Some of the pictures show the new stage 4 route to Tighjettu and the area in the region of Bocca a u Porte. Those without 'winter' snow conditions would be advised to take the navette (shuttle bus). I myself having seen the photos have swapped my Grivel spider microspikes for Grivel G10 crampons.

Oliver

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jun 7, 2016, 15:28

Yes, Oliver, those conditions demand full and proper winter gear. With ice axe and crampons I can manage to self-arrest (is that the proper term?) in case of a slip. But those reported slippery rocks give me the goosebumps.

Michele

gundars

Posted: Wed, Jun 8, 2016, 8:20

Indeed, the weather on June 7th has been horrible. The pictures from the same site taken on May 26 look to me more encouraging http://www.altre-cime.com/2016/05/cretes-monte-cintu-corse/#!
Still there is a plenty of snow on both Northern and Southern slopes of Monte Cinto. Just wonder whether one could even think about crossing them with bare poles and "kick-in" method, providing snow is soft enough?
I plan to approach Monte Cinto on June 25, so either the conditions will allow to go up or shall I look for a navette then.
btw is there anything exciting to do in Haut Asco in case I am forced to spend there an extra day waiting for better weather?

obrobinson

Posted: Wed, Jun 8, 2016, 8:46

Hi Gundars,

To make you feel a lot happier by 23rd/24th June last when I took a day out first to summit Monte Cintu and then traverse the same alpine route the following day, the entire route was snow-free. As a day out you could visit col Perdu and/or follow the old route for the GR20 which bypassed Asco on either your route out or return. The pools towards Monte Cintu are also a relaxing place to spend some time.

Oliver

gundars

Posted: Wed, Jun 8, 2016, 9:44

Thanks Oliver! Hope this year will be not different.
Living not so far away from the arctic circle I am more afraid of incinerating heat than snow. Nevertheless icy slopes should be always approached with a great respect.

Gundars