Popaghia - Lac de Nino - Refuge de Manganu - Refuge de Petra Piana - Canaglia (3d hike)

B.art

Posted: Fri, Jun 10, 2016, 5:55

Hello,

(Not sure this 100 % GR20 but at least it's related)

Mid July, we will make a roadtrip in Corsica and we're planning a 3 day hike. We're going with a group of 7 (all between 24-26 years old). Everyone has some experience with hiking but some only 1day hikes and not with heavy gear.I'm looking for some feedback on the hike and how to arrange start and end to get back to our car.

Day 1: Start at Popighia - Lac de Nino - Refuge de Manganu
Day 2 (Thoughest): Refuge de Manganu - Refuge Petra Piana (GR20 hike)
Day 3: Petra Piana - Canaglia

The questions I have:
1) Is the 3 day hike ok to do with our experience ? We would reserve tents to limit our weights. Day 1 and 3 should be fine. Day 2 might be hard but should be do-able in my opinion.

2) We are travelling by car. My plan was to stay in Corte before the hike and get to Popaghia by bus. Once arrived in Canaglia, we would take the train back to Corte. Does this seems feasible ? I can't find any good information on the bus Corte-Porto up to now.

Any other feedback is welcome as well,
Thanks in advance

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jun 10, 2016, 7:28

Hello,
A bit out of the normal and away from the main trail for some of this route.:-)

As I read this your car will be left in Corte and your problem is the bus from Corte to Porto that you will have to use to get up to your start a bit below the Col de Viergo which, I think, is the start of a trail used by day trippers to get to Lac Nino? Of course once at lac Nino you will be on The GR20 and then later from Manganu to Petra Piana on one of the outstanding sections of the GR route.
To reach Canaglia you follow for a bit the alternative route from PP to l'Onda to the bergeries Tolla then on the forestry trail to Canaglia....no train from here....a bit further on At Tattone.
Surprised that the bus time table doesn't give you what you need but some of the folks around here are more into timetables than me! I would have thought that there would be bus that went over the col Viergo.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jun 10, 2016, 8:20

Had a look at the bus timetable.
There seems to be a summer service from Corte...station area...to Col Vergio. In a previous year it appears to leave at 1030. No data as yet for 2016.
Welcome to Corsica walkers and travellers. :-)

Many years ago, after the MM Nord route, we got a bus which we thought would take us from near Cargese to Calvi.
Doesn't work like that in Corse. This service terminated in Porto and we had to take another bus on the following day to reach Calvi.
The thing with Corse you have to allow for such events luckily we had for our ferry home. The island is not always easy for bus travel.
Porto was a very fine place to camp and visit.

--

Gaffr

B.art

Posted: Fri, Jun 10, 2016, 11:13

Hey,

Thanks for the info already.

About the route:
We will indeed start a bit below Col de Viergo as you mentioned. This walk seems to be a bit easier and shorter to get to Lac de Nino, then we will follow GR20 up to Manganu.
On day 3 we will follow GR20 at first but then get of as we agreed to only hike for 3 days. We would extend our hike up to Tattone Station indeed.

Main problem would indeed be to schedule the bus a bit:
Problem 1: finding a schedule (but I contacted some bus companies in the meantime)
Problem 2: Do buses drop you of wherever you want or can you ask the busdriver to do so ?
It seems Col de Vergio and Calacuccia are 'main stops' but they're still a bit far from Popaghia where the walk would start.

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jun 11, 2016, 6:54

Hello,
Corsica Train and Bus timetable should give you what you need.
Never been on the bus up to Col de Vergio but I am almost certain that he will drop you ....there is a car park marked on the 1:25,000 map....looks to me like the daytrip way to get to Ninu.
Just supposing that he doesn't drop you it would not be so desperate to begin the walk from across from the hotel at the Col to follow the GR20 stage 6 to Manganu.

Also, as an edit after looking at the map more thoroughly, the route from bergeries Tolla down to the train is a variante of the MM Nord....so I guess that there should be some 'markings' for this?

--

Gaffr