Food storage and refuge Asinau

suzhou89

Posted: Tue, Jun 14, 2016, 9:52

Hi all,

I am going to hike GR20 on June 17. Just have two questions before I leave for this beautiful island.

Heard a lot of stories about fox attacks, and really don't want that happen to me. Is it possible to store the food inside the refuge to avoid attentions from wild animals, even if I don't sleep inside? If this is not possible, is there any other ways to store food safely?

Another question is about refuge Asinau, which was burned down this year. Any update regarding the alternatives?

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 14, 2016, 10:34

Hello,
At Col de Vergio, where there was a history of fox activity, a person staying in the refuge offered to look after my food overnight.
On another occasion at Vergio when camping another camper with a dog under their flysheet took care of Mr Foxes visit.
You maybe are thinking of food rather than a bed at Asinao? I don't think that the toilet and washing facilities are affected since they are situated about 150 metres from the refuge...or what is left of it. Also there may be some sort of temporary arrangements at Asinao?
If you are travelling N-S the prior refuge at Usciolu has a good supply of provisions for campers...stock up there.
Alterative stay overnight at Matalza or at Crocu bergeries perhaps.

--

Gaffr

Psychedelicandy

Posted: Tue, Jun 14, 2016, 16:13

To prevent your food being stolen by foxes, provided you're in an area with trees nearby, what's to stop you hanging a drybag with your food in it from a nearby tree from a bit of strong string?

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Jun 16, 2016, 20:04

The fox problem only seems to affect Manganu at present. He/she will only be interested in meat products or cheese. Put them outside your tent & cover them with stones or hang them from a tree. It's only a fox and they're easily scared off. My friend, who was sleeping in a bivvy bag, had his feet 'investigated' by the fox but an exploratory 'bite' revealed the toes were very much alive and not worth bothering with...

--

Alan

Fanta 65

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 5:46

Hello, we hiked the GR 20 south last week from south to north. At Asinau is absolutly nothing, no toilet, no shower, no washing facilities, only fresh water. They put some dry toilets, but they are locked. Around the toilets it is really dirty. We asked to stay at the bergerie, but they had no place left. The only thing, they could sell us was a beer.
Frank

--

Fanta 65

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 6:10

I wonder why the PNRC promised to put temporary measures in place, then did nothing? Surely they could have pitched a couple of big tents full of mattresses, brought in lots of food and fuel, and had some kind of services in place.

yogie

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 7:00

Hello, where else can we stay if there is nothing at Asinau ? We do not intend to bring a tent.

Fanta 65

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 7:18

Hi Yogie,
try to contact the bergerie Asinau. The name of the owner is Aline. Or, if you come from the south, stay in bavella and try to skip Asinau by going on to Croci ( a beautiful place :-)) If you come from the north do the same in the other sense.

--

Fanta 65

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 7:57

The owner of the Bergerie de Asinau should answer this number 0656885703. A user on my blog a few days ago called and made a reservation. It's 45 euros half-board. They tend to get full up quite easily.
Also they don't allow tents to be pitched in their compound.

--Michele

yogie

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 8:00

Thank you Fanta 65 and Michele for the information.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 12:54

That is disappointing regarding no temporary facilities at Asinao.

All I can suggest that if you have the energy is to perhaps leave earlier from Paliri then push on upwards from area of Asinao to the col above leave your packs there....top out on Monte Alcudina...recover sack then easily along a courbe de niveau...then down to Croci bergeries for the night. There are some direction and markings at the col etc. They have a website.

My apologies to the earlier poster Fanta65 ....we obviously have had the same reception at Croci...a fine place to spent the night.

--

Gaffr

RogerC

Posted: Thu, Jun 30, 2016, 13:31

Ref: Turnertactics and food storage

Not just Manganu but also "down the road" at Bergerie de Vaccaghia. Also not just meat and cheese. Two weeks ago in mid June we had 4 x energy bars taken by, presumably, a fox. They were inside a rucsac under the flysheet of our tent and in the morning we found the rucsac 5m. away with a large hole ripped in it. Fortunately judicious use of duct tape enabled the rucsac to be usable.