Buying a picnic from refuges?

Skinz

Posted: Tue, Jun 14, 2016, 20:14

Do all the refuges sell a picnic for the following day? We don't want to carry any extra weight if we can get away with it!

Michele

Posted: Wed, Jun 15, 2016, 5:34

Most refuges have granola bars on sale.

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Jun 16, 2016, 19:57

There are some good threads on here with lists of all the food available at each refuge but the seach facility doesn't seem to be working at the moment - essentially, you can buy all sorts of lunchtime foods at most of the refuges. There's almost no prospect of going hungry!

--

Alan

Skinz

Posted: Thu, Jun 16, 2016, 21:30

Phew! Thank you Turnertactics. You have stopped me from packing a load of tinned tuna! We are really looking forward to setting off from Calenzana on Tuesday. :-)

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 6:14

All the refuges have been selling food for years, and most of the bergeries also sell food. It's odd to see people walking the GR20 with huge packs full of food, because they didn't know they could get food on the trail. I have to wonder what sort of 'research' they do before setting off. If they don't know about food being sold, what else don't they know?

Skinz

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 6:27

Fear not GRRR20, I have done plenty of 'research'. I simply wondered if there was an option to buy a sandwich in the morning from the refuges to eat on the way. On the treks I have previously done this was always an option.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 6:57

There are plenty of options on the GR....after all there are many people who make a seasonal living from providing services to the walkers.
I do carry a few basics in my pack....pack of muesli, pasta, a couple of tins of spiced fish and a pack of tea leaves. When I need a change of breakfast or whatever I have found that as you get into the route that, for a change for breakfast, the Bergeries do a reasonable job ....bread cheese, jam and coffee.
Mid-stage picnic? I guess with timings etc it may be possible for this to coincide with a refuge/bergerie. Must say that it not something that I find to be priority....a few snack bars taken on the hoof do the job for me. :-)

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jun 17, 2016, 7:32

Unfortunately not all refuges offer the same choice of food for the midday break. In fact afaik Ortu du Piobbu has just snack bars and so Carrozzu. I was under the impression Skinz wanted something fast to eat on the way. That's why I suggested granola bars. If I remember correctly all refuges at least have snack bars on sale.

--Michele