Day trips for spare time

roesti32

Posted: Sun, Jun 19, 2016, 8:52

Hey guys,

first of all thanks for all the advice I already found in the forum! I'm doing the GR20 in August and I have approx. six days of spare time in case of bad weather or whatever.
Are there any day trips etc. you could recommend if I don't need them? Until now I found Paglia Orba (from Ciottulu) and Monte Ritondu (from Petra Piana). I also read about visiting Corte, but to be honest I'm not really interested in visiting towns (at least not for a whole day).
Are there maybe nice routes from Conca or Porto-Vecchio, as I will depart from there?
I hope I'm not reposting but I couldn't find much information on this topic. Any advice is appreciated!

Regards, Simon

--

Regards, Simon

Tarjei

Posted: Sun, Jun 19, 2016, 9:28

You don't need to use a day on Paglia Orba and Monte Ritondo though. Both summits can be done combined with walking a stage on the GR20.
For Paglia Orba either go from Tighjettu or U Vallone to Ciottulu and climb the summit afterwards, or climb the summit in the morning and go to Castel de Verghio.
For Monte Ritondo you can climb the summit in the morning and go to l'Onda afterwards, you will have time for both options from Petra Piana.
But if you're fine with just doing the summits and spend more time at the refuges, you're good.

As I have in written earlier posts here, Corte is well worth the visit. I found Corte a much nicer place than Porto-Vecchio. From Corte you can do the A boucle des deux vallees hike, going up to refuge de Sega in the Tavignanu valley and cross over to the Restonica valley and go down to Corte the day after.
http://tarjeinskrede.blogspot.no/2012/09/intermission-corte-og-boucle-des-deux.html.

Tarjei

roesti32

Posted: Sun, Jun 19, 2016, 17:05

Thanks for the answer, the boucle tour looks pretty cool and I think I'm going to do it!

--

Regards, Simon

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jun 20, 2016, 7:01

I have looked down upon and taken images of, in different weather conditions, of the Lacs Melo and Capitello from various positions on the stage between Bocca alle Porte and both Breche de Capitello and Soglia. Possibly the most interesting part of the GR20 from a mountain scape point of view......however the GR20 is the sum of a whole range of different parts!...and that's what makes it into a great walk. I'm sure that that area could be linked with Tarjei's route. I have watched folks coming up a wee gully to join the GR20 at the Breche.

Also if the variant between Asinao and Bavella had not been travelled maybe a day trip from Bavella would be a reasonable day out.
From Bavella Punta Velaco and the Trou de la Bombe walk....in the Rother book with a time of 4.5 hrs. duration.

--

Gaffr

Tarjei

Posted: Mon, Jun 20, 2016, 9:43

Toying with your thought, Gaffr, and if doing the GR20 in a pure purist way is not that important, you can in a way extend the hike. You can do this by going down to Corte from Refuge de Manganu by Refuge de Sega and through the Tavignanu valley. From Corte go up the Restonica valley to the Bergeries de Grotelle and from there up again to the GR20 passing by both Melo and Capitellu, rejoining the GR20 at the Breche de Capitellu. I indeed walked down to the lakes from the Breche de Capitellu and walked up again getting back on the GR20 at Bocca a Soglia. However, going down from Manganu and return at Breche de Capitellu would mean you would miss out on the section inbetween those points on the GR20, including the highest point on the trail, Bocca a le Porte (maybe now changed to the highest point on the new route between Haut Asco and Tighjettu).

Tarjei

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jun 20, 2016, 9:51

Let's not forget the Lac de Goria. When coming up from the Restonica valley it could be worth such deviation to reach Manganu from a different valley.

roesti32

Posted: Thu, Jun 23, 2016, 19:28

Thanks for the great ideas, I'll definitely find something :)

(to everyone, of course)

--

Regards, Simon

Backstroke

Posted: Mon, Jul 4, 2016, 23:48

The trip up Paglia Orba was the highlight of my GR20 experience. I would budget at least 5 hours R-T.

Trurl

Posted: Tue, Aug 2, 2016, 0:18

In 2015 I stayed at Petra Piana for 2 nights in order to climb Monte Ritondu without haste. For part of the day we walked in fog; chances were high for zero views from the top but luckily, soon after we reached the summit the fog magically cleared. We spent at least 30 minutes enjoying the views. We have also spent time at the beautiful lake on the way. We then had time to enjoy Petra Piana life.
It was about 800 meters ascent/descent so nontrivial effort.
Can of course be combined with walking a stage but if you have time, I wouldn't hurry.

--

--Jacek