How do I get to Calenzana from Bastia on a Sunday?

IanM

Posted: Sat, Jun 25, 2016, 9:16

I am arriving in Bastia to start the GR20 on the 10th of July.

According to the Corsica bus website, it's possible to get from the airport to Calenzana by bus. Do any of you know if that's right and if not, are there transport alternatives (other than a taxi!!)?

Thank you,

Ian.

--

obrobinson

Posted: Sun, Jun 26, 2016, 9:32

Options are 'infinite/varied'! Assuming you're flying in with Easyjet from the UK, both flights from either London Gatwick or Manchester give you plenty of time first of all to get a taxi to Casamozza railway station for the 11:14 train to Calvi - cost me €20 on my own this Sunday 13th June past. Taxi at other end from Calvi (~13:40) is €40. I chose to hike the 9km having alighted at Camp Rafelli. Secondly, you can get the navette into Bastia and catch either afternoon train or bus. Both depart around 17:00 and cost ~€15, but the bus is slightly quicker. Taxi share/hike once again to Calenzana. Lastly, you can always hire/share a car rental from Bastia airport to Calvi airport drop-off which is still a 10-15 minutes hike back to the airport itself to once again get a €40 taxi to Calenzana. Hiking from Calvi airport drop-off is longer!?
Of course you can always risk hitch-hiking, although I have not read of anyone successfully making it all the way!

Oliver

obrobinson

Posted: Sun, Jun 26, 2016, 9:33

Options are 'infinite/varied'! Assuming you're flying in with Easyjet from the UK, both flights from either London Gatwick or Manchester give you plenty of time first of all to get a taxi to Casamozza railway station for the 11:14 train to Calvi - cost me €20 on my own this Sunday 13th June past. Taxi at other end from Calvi (~13:40) is €40. I chose to hike the 9km having alighted at Camp Rafelli. Secondly, you can get the navette into Bastia and catch either afternoon train or bus. Both depart around 17:00 and cost ~€15, but the bus is slightly quicker. Taxi share/hike once again to Calenzana. Lastly, you can always hire/share a car rental from Bastia airport to Calvi airport drop-off which is still a 10-15 minutes hike back to the airport itself to once again get a €40 taxi to Calenzana. Hiking from Calvi airport drop-off is longer!?
Of course you can always risk hitch-hiking, although I have not read of anyone successfully making it all the way!

Oliver

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Jun 26, 2016, 18:01

Hitch hiking works in Corsica, but it usually takes lots of short lifts, with big gaps between them, to get anywhere. If you have several hours to wait for a train or bus, then it is worth trying to get a lift. Just make sure, if it's taking a long time, that you can easily switch to the train or bus.

You can get buses from Bastia to Calenzana, but it only works if you can change buses in Calvi, otherwise you'll have to get the expensive taxi for the last few kilometres.

Harley1965

Posted: Wed, Jun 29, 2016, 20:09

IanM

What time do your arrive in Bastia on the 10th, I am on a flight from Southampton which arrives at 1100 hrs and I will be travelling to Calenzana.

--

Neil

IanM

Posted: Tue, Jul 5, 2016, 13:11

Hi Neil,

Our flight from Gatwick arrives at 13:15. It looks like the buses will be OK to get us to Calenzana for the evening: just a question of finding somewhere to camp!!

Maybe see you on the route,

Ian.

Backstroke

Posted: Tue, Jul 5, 2016, 14:37

I had no luck hitching, and both at night and in the morning three different taxi drivers could not take me from Calvi to Calenzana. Apparently their main business is ferrying people to the Bastia hospital, and they do not have much extra capacity for seasonal tourists. I put this out there to warn that even if you speak adequate french and are prepared to pay, a taxi may simply not be an option. This may be OK if it delays starting on the trail, but something to consider if closely timed with a flight out.

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Jul 5, 2016, 16:14

It might have been better to phone the taxi driver who operates from Calenzana. There is a 'Calenzana Taxis' parking place opposite the church, as well as a notice near the start of the GR20. The number is 0608165365 or 0495627780.

Harley1965

Posted: Tue, Jul 5, 2016, 16:16

IanM

The camp site in Calenzana is fine, although I have know doubt it will be very crowded on a Sunday evening. Last year it was packed in June. With regards to bus times, The bus gets into Calvi at 1910 hrs, but cannot find a bus to Calenzana. So it would be a taxi or walk.

--

Neil

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jul 5, 2016, 16:34

Hello,
There are usually taxis waiting in an area close to the railway station and the Tourist information place in Calvi...the area, a kind of lay-by, is between them both.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Jul 5, 2016, 19:10

Gaffr - his problem wasn't finding taxis in Calvi. That much was easy. The problem was finding one that would take him to Calenzana, when they were more interested in doing hospital runs to Bastia. The taxi rank in Calvi is the Place de la Porteuse d'Eau. There is a statue of a woman carrying a bucket of water on her head. I've always called the Calenzana taxi for runs between Calvi and Calenzana as it's obviously his special run.

IanM

Posted: Wed, Jul 6, 2016, 8:52

Thank you everybody: very helpful indeed.

IanM

Posted: Wed, Jul 6, 2016, 8:52

Thank you everybody: very helpful indeed.

Bruce the Kiwi

Posted: Fri, Mar 17, 2017, 23:11

We will be based in Calvi with a vehicle and may be able to help with ride shares to Calenzana from 8 to 23 July 2017. We could potentially meet your flight at Bastia and drop you in Calenzana in 2 hours.
https://goo.gl/forms/95ikhkSPu5AOPqwk1

--

--

Kiwi Bruce
"Feeling LOW?
Go on mountains.”
― Prajakta Mhadnak