Refuge Asinau is booked. What are the alternatives ?

shakedo

Posted: Sat, Jun 25, 2016, 9:46

I saw in the GR20 booking web site that Refuge Asinau is fully booked on almost every day on July!
Are there any alternatives?
I'm only one person, can I take the chance and arrive there even if it's fully booked ?

I don't have a tent with me.

Michele

Posted: Sat, Jun 25, 2016, 12:27

Hi, if you're coming from the north I suggest you stop at the Bergerie I Croci (or Basseta or Refuge Matalza). If you're coming from the south try the Bergerie de Asinau (always booked up) or stop in Bavella (or - if you're strong - try to reach the Bergerie i Croci.

manac

Posted: Wed, Jun 29, 2016, 20:50

errrrrrrrr ref Asinau does not exist! It's a demolition site, there are two dry toilets, one open fountain for water that by early evening was in a quagmire surrounded by rubbish.

--

MnM

Michele

Posted: Wed, Jun 29, 2016, 21:14

errrrrrrr when did I say Refuge Asinau?

manac

Posted: Thu, Jun 30, 2016, 6:30

You didn't, the original question did.

--

MnM

littleendian

Posted: Thu, Jun 30, 2016, 14:39

It burned to the ground over the winter 2015/16. It's probably marked as "booked" all the time because they are missing the "has burned down" checkbox in their software ;-) Can't blame them.

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Jun 30, 2016, 15:46

Asinau was first reported being burnt down on 25 March this year. The latest Cicerone guidebook only came out in June this year and it already mentioned that the refuge was burnt down. It doesn't sound like they put any emergency accommodation in place. In fact it sounds like a terrible place to camp. Last time I stayed there I put my tent on a really good flat area, but the guardian told me to move somewhere horrible because that was the landing area for the helicopter.