GR20 in September

michaelaohare

Posted: Wed, Jul 6, 2016, 12:51

Hello,

I am arriving to Bastia with a friend on 11th September for two weeks and would be grateful of any advice on travel to the starting point of the trek.
I realise this has been discussed in a previous conversation but I am also aware that travel times etc. change in September.

Any other useful tips (weather, temp, food supplies etc.) on a September trek would be excellent!

Many thanks!
Michaela

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Thu, Jul 7, 2016, 12:15

Hi Michaela

September is a great time to go, there is a bus service from Bastia to Calenzana every day except Sundays and Bank Holidays, takes a couple of hours.
When you get to the other end there is a bus every morning except sunday from Porto Vecchio to Ajaccio, and other large towns.

my tip: KEEP YOUR PACK AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE, eat as much as you can at the refuges rather than carrying food around in your pack
Although you should keep your pack as light as possible I would still recommend avoiding sleeping inside the refuges.
One english girl I met last september was reduced to tears and wanted to quit the trek after 3 days because the bedbugs were so bad. Having said that others sleeping in the same refuges seemed unaffected by them.

Good Luck

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jul 8, 2016, 8:53

No-one mentioned bedbugs being a problem last year. That led me to believe they're managed to deal with them. I do remember a long time ago someone on another trail continually complaining of bedbugs. It turned out that there weren't any. What he was suffering from was prickly heat.

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jul 8, 2016, 9:26

The fact that nobody mentioned bedbugs doesn't mean they have been defeated. As a matter of fact it's almost impossible to get rid of them completely. It'll always be a recurring issue.

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jul 8, 2016, 9:39

I only used the refuges once and that was a long time ago. I was trekking early in the season so they were quiet. As soon as they got busy, they were horrible, and I never used them after that. If there are bedbugs there, then it doesn't bother me because I won't stay inside anyway.

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Mon, Jul 11, 2016, 20:59

Hi GRRR20

Of all the hikers I met last september, only the 1 person who I mentioned above was complaining about the bedbugs. I saw her arms were covered in bites and her despair was real enough.... she wanted to quit the trek at Manganu and that was the last time I saw the poor girl.

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 11, 2016, 13:40

Since we are talking about bedbugs if anyone out there has any pictures of GR20-related bites (not a google search) I'd appreciate if they would share them. Thanks

manac

Posted: Wed, Jul 13, 2016, 10:45

The Hut warden, Charley(?) at Tighjettu sprays the mattresses every morning with some toxic (at least for the bedbugs I assume) pesticide ......... I assume that by the evening the fumes will have evaporated and therefore safe for sleepers!

--

MnM