Refuge Asinau temporary alternative: progress report: don't hold your breath!

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jul 8, 2016, 12:11

The facebook page of PNRC has posted some pictures of the refuge Asinau without specifying when they were taken (probably old pictures since you can spot the snow in the first one).
The note mostly says what we already know.

Hikers must be completely self sufficient here with their food and tent and that they must take away their garbage. The Park people are working to erect a "big tent" and a wooden shelter for the guardian. This will only be temporary and we will be informed when the situation evolves.

https://www.facebook.com/ParcNaturelRegionalCorse/posts/1338625502833437

Mandy

Posted: Thu, Jul 28, 2016, 13:41

I just completed the route North to South. There are 4 toilets, as of a few days ago, 2 are left open and 2 are locked. However they are clearly not maintained and are in some state ( dried poo on the seat). There is a lot of human poo around the camping area from when the toilets were unaccessible, some people still prefering to go in the wild considering the state of the facilities. Even down at the bergeries I was told by someone staying there that there are no toilets and the owner gives you a bag to collect your used toilet paper which they burn afterwards.

There is a hose and an enclosed area ( in the sun) to have a wash. Also a small wooden shed for the guardian and for cooking ( this seems to be just small canisters of gas left by other hikers, not sure if there was a stove to use so cone prepared with your own food that doesn't require cooking if you don't have one).
When I was there, there was no guardian to collect fees so the camping was free. No supplies at the bergerie except beer and cheese.

There were also 3 dogs that were a nuisance to campers, jumping up on the picnic tables whilst we were cooking and taking food from tents.

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jul 29, 2016, 10:37

I thought they would put a big tent at Asinau with beds or mattresses inside as a temporary refuge. It sounds as though the whole place is turning into one big toilet.

roesti32

Posted: Tue, Aug 2, 2016, 14:16

On the parc-corse.org website, a new announcement was made:

"Une structure d'accueil gardiennée sur le site d'Asinau sera opérationnelle à compter du lundi 15 août 2016.

Cette structure de remplacement ne prosposera pas
de couchage en bat-flanc mais uniquement
du bivouac et de la location de tente.

Les réservations seront à nouveau possibles
dès le jeudi 4 août 2016."

So from August 15th there will be a gardien, it will only be possible to bring a tent or to rent one. It will be possible to book from August 4th.

--

Regards, Simon

Michele

Posted: Tue, Aug 2, 2016, 14:37

Thank you Simon for the head up!!

Tuuli

Posted: Sun, Sep 18, 2016, 12:32

We were at Asinau on the 3rd of September. In conclusion everything is comparable to the other refuges. The only difference is the absence of indoor sleeping opportunities. There are 4 "modern" toilets (similar to Carozzu), 2 showers, a wash basin, cooking stoves, drinking water, tents for renting and places to put up the tent. The guardian has a small room where you can buy supplies similar to the ones sold in the other refuges. There is also a big tent with some tables in it and I saw a couple of mattresses in there but they didn't look like something that would be actively used. So bring a tent or rent one. There also seemed to be less people, probably because of the fright of absent facilities. Didn't see much human waste around the area, so wouldn't complain. We were positively suprised by the situation.

Tuuli

Michele

Posted: Sun, Sep 18, 2016, 12:54

Thank you Tuuli. So things are somewhat improving at Asinau. It's a shame that the PNRC randoblog hasn't updated their page since 10 August.