GR20 in late September and refuge opening

dwilson1234

Posted: Fri, Jul 8, 2016, 15:08

Hello,

I was thinking with 2 others of doing the GR20 this year
or alternatively next June.

We were thinking of going South to North which might mean
we finish at start of October - possibly Sunday 2nd October.
Does that sort of date mean we might need to carry food and
stoves for the end or are refuges still likely to be open
for food. The guides are a bit vague about when the refuges
become unstaffed.

Also is the weather like to break around this time.

Thanks,
Daniel.

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jul 8, 2016, 16:13

Hi Daniel,

I understand the guides being vague about it. In fact there is no set rule in this. The gardians prepare to leave towards the end of September, but, depending on the weather (if it's still fine) and the number of hikers, they might extend their stay a few days more into October. I suggest you should at least carry a couple of days' food with you as an emergency.

--Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jul 8, 2016, 17:02

Just keep asking the refuge guardians what the situation is going to be at the next two refuges along the route. If you hear that one (or more) of the refuges ahead is going to be unstaffed, then stock up on food. You can still stay at the refuges, and you should be able to cook there and get water, but once the guardian has gone, there won't be any food. I've used some of the refuges in winter, when I have been the only person there. I like it best when the whole place is mine. My guess is that they will definitely be staffed until the end of September and there is a good chance that they will be staffed for a few days in October. Who knows what the weather will be like? I have experienced very good weather in the middle of October, and seen many people on the trail, but I have also been in rain and very deep snow in November.