GR20 & Rock Climbing

David

Posted: Wed, Jul 13, 2016, 17:22

Hi everyone!

First of all thanks to all of you that has contributed here, this forum is a really great resource.

We are planning to visit Corsica in early September for 2 weeks (at least) and wanted to know if anyone has experiences with combining hiking and rock climbing? In terms of experience we have done more of climbing than hiking but the GR20 (North) looks like something we would enjoy a lot. Obviously we would rather not carry our climbing gear along the GR20 so does anyone know of nice climbing spots close to there? Also, any ideas on possibilities to leave a bag of gear for 10 days?

Thanks in advance and we will certainly share any experiences we have later in the year!

David

jenny5678

Posted: Mon, Sep 26, 2016, 12:59

Hey David,

My friend and I are planning a trip with similar intent of both hiking and climbing in early Oct. We fly in to Bastia and understand that things can be left there at the train station in lockers but are unsure of this and we are interested in other options. What did you end up doing? Any advice on what to do with gear would be really appreciated. Also, where you ended up climbing and how did it go? Hope you are well and thank you!

Jenny

David

Posted: Mon, Sep 26, 2016, 14:03

Hi Jenny

Jealous to hear that you are yet to have your GR20 experience, as we had an incredible time!

We ended up leaving the climbing gear (and other stuff) at the hotel we stayed in close to the airport. They were very friendly and didn't mind to store it for some time, and we gave them a tip after we returned. I don't know about lockers in Bastia, so I cannot confirm or dismiss this option.

Regarding the climbing itself I felt like it is the perfect thing to do in addition to hiking- which was the main activity for us this time. The climbing is solid but you need to be informed on where to go- which we could have done better. Get a guidebook or print out some online stuff. We ended up in Restonica Valley (stayed at camping Tuani) for about 2 days and found very good crags there along the road (before and after the camping site). The approach is minimal and sometimes just next to the parking. Some stuff is not well bolted and we found some missing bolts so try and 'read' the route as well as you can beforehand.

As we moved along the island by car we did some more climbing in col de bavella, which was really really nice for the views it offers. Again the approach is not too difficult and relatively close to the parking. We also saw some climbable (and bolted) cliffs in cap corse, between Erbalunga and Sisco. If you want to know more about this I can try to explain how to get there but the climbing is harder.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

David

jenny5678

Posted: Mon, Sep 26, 2016, 16:24

Hey David,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can I ask what hotel you staying in in Bastia? It is a big commitment leaving your gear somewhere and great to know yours stayed somewhere safely.

We have ordered the guidebook and are waiting for it to arrive before we take off on our trip. Where I have climbing in the south of France has always been really well bolted so good to remember to be extra careful while we are out this time. We are also hoping to base ourselves around Corte! Would you say most of the climbing is accessible without a car? We haven't got one as we are planning to travel by hitchhiking :)

Could you determine when exactly the refuges along the GR20 are going to stop being manned? Lots of mixed info online!

Thank you for your help and offer :) I am glad you had a great trip!

Jenny

David

Posted: Tue, Sep 27, 2016, 11:51

Hi Jenny

We were staying at Hotel Castellu. I cannot tell you exactly about the Refuges either, everyone was always speaking of "early October". I guess it is best to call one of the Refuges directly or the Parc authority. Just in case stock some food I suggest.

I would say the climbing in Restonica is reachable by foot from Corte, though the walk is not nice on a paved road. I suggest to stay in a camping outside of Corte and closer to the crags. We gave a ride to a few hikers so feel free to ask there are many cars going up there.

Getting to col de bavella should also be possible by hitchhiking and then you can walk easily to reach the crags. I have no experience on other sites though.

Enjoy!

David

grcotedazur20

Posted: Thu, Sep 29, 2016, 1:32

When I was at the Refugio Torino near Mont Blanc, there was a woman who showed me a video of climbing and I think there were something like four or five lakes in the area. I wonder what place this was. Could it have been Restonica?

Where did you climb in the South of France? I have climbed at La Turbie once and at the Baou de St. Jeannet once. The Gorges du Loup near Nice seems like the good place around Nice.

yellow2112

Posted: Sun, Oct 9, 2016, 17:22

Hey Jenny! Are you still around and climbing in Corsica?!? Im desperately looking for a climbing partner/s for next weekend (14-18/10)! Let me know if you are, i will happily pay for lunch and petrol costs! Belle

--

Belle