Are there Airport Buses From Bastia Airport To Bastia On Sunday 4th September.

RayGrange

Posted: Tue, Jul 19, 2016, 17:26

We are flying into Bastia Airport (EasyJet) on Sunday 4th September 2016.

The only timetables I can find for the Airport Bus to Bastia appears to be a Summer Timetable and the 4th September may be on a winter timetable. We do not mind getting a taxi to Bastia but would prefer to know beforehand.

--

Ray

petermcl

Posted: Tue, Jul 19, 2016, 19:08

Hi Ray, the timetable for the airport navette goes up to 31 July: http://www.corsicabus.org/busBastia/BIA_Airport.html

There are about 15 services on Sundays so even if they go onto a reduced service in September, I'd be surprised if there weren't a few options that suit your arrival time.

If you're heading for Calenzana, a taxi to Casamozza followed by bus or train to Calvi might work. They haven't published the bus timetable for Bastia/Calvi from 4th September yet, but there are two trains thru Casamozza, though the first of these will be too early if you're coming from LGW or MAN. I'm flying in on the 3rd and staying in Casamozza after giving up trying to get from Glasgow to Calanzana on the same day.

--

Regards,
petermcl.

RayGrange

Posted: Wed, Jul 20, 2016, 9:40

Many thanks petermcl.

While I am aware of a train from Casamozza to Calvi (in the afternoon) I am not aware of any buses running on a Sunday.

We are on the early Easyjet from Gatwick. We are travelling to Calvi but as the train from Bastia is not until the afternoon we thought that we would go to Bastia to wait there.

We are staying in Calvi on the Sunday night (4th)

We are going to Calenzana on Monday 5th morning to start our walk (Mare e Monti) and thinking of going by taxi as the bus is not until early afternoon.

If any sharing of travel arrangements would suit you please let me know.

Kind Regards

Ray

ray.s.grange@btopenworld.com

--

Ray

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 20, 2016, 12:38

Hello,
I have only gone to the island once via the MAN Easy Jet service. Must say I thought that this service finished on the last day of August well that is how it was three years ago....has this now changed? to be extended into September. After all you have to get home after your visit to the GR20 so that would take you into the middle of September for a return flight.
Staying in The Highlands of Scotland it has always been at least three days before I could get onto the Trails.
A couple of times after a flight to Nice with an overnight stay in the town followed by an late afternoon ferry and a further overnight in Bastia it meant four days before getting onto the route at Calinzana.
You certainly have to pay for your pleasures of walking in Corsica.

--

Gaffr

petermcl

Posted: Wed, Jul 20, 2016, 21:22

Hi Ray, I'll be about half a day ahead of you, staying in Casamozza on the night of the 3rd and getting that afternoon bus to Calenzana on the 4th. I might see you on the first part of the trail before TMM and GR20 go their own ways. I'm a late starter

--

Regards,
petermcl.

petermcl

Posted: Wed, Jul 20, 2016, 21:26

...also might be worth booking a taxi when you arrive in Calvi on the Sunday night as some people on the forum have been saying that the drivers at the rank sometimes don't want the Calenzana fare.

--

Regards,
petermcl.

RayGrange

Posted: Thu, Jul 21, 2016, 13:18

Dear petermcl

Many thanks for your advice. The other point that I picked up from the forum is that it is better to book the taxi at Calenzana for the pick up in Calvi back to Calenzana.

We may however, walk to Calenzana if there is a train running from Calvi to Camp Raffelli.

May see on the first section of the walk.

Kind Regards

Ray

--

Ray

patsy

Posted: Sun, Aug 7, 2016, 16:58

Hi Ray

We'll be on that flight the next week - but used the bus from the airport last year, in May, when we arrived on the same flight! A bus pulled up outside the airport entrance about 10 mins after we went out! I think they are quite frequent! That was out of season too! As far as I can remember, it was a fairly quick journey and stopped very near the railway station.

We might also see you on the trail. We're off to Corte to finish the Mare a Mare Nord started last year. My boot fell apart just above Corte after 5 days walking so we intend to go west from there and then move onto the Tra Mare e Monti at Evisa going north. We've previously done the last 2 stages going into Cargese! We'll also be looking for a train down to Corte! The only timetable I can find is for the summer season - does anyone know when the off season timetable comes out?

Just a point - out of season does not mean cooler. We were on the island in early May last year and the temperatures were around 30C! Very difficult to pack for!

Pat and Mike

--

Patsy

RayGrange

Posted: Mon, Aug 8, 2016, 8:46

Dear Patsy
Many thanks it gives me confidence that there will be a bus at Bastia connecting with the Gatwick EasyJet flight on 18th September.

You are probably aware of the train time tables : www.corsicabus.org

They show trains from 27June until 4th September. There is a train from Casamozza at 10.11 to Corte.
This may be a bit tight as your plane does not get in until 9:25 if it the same as ours.

We walked the Mare a Mare Nord two years ago. In case you are not aware there is a bus from Corte to Col de Vergio.

We caught this at Calacuccia as we thought that the walk from Clacuccia to Evisa was a bit long.

We are travelling on from Bastia to Calvi on 4th Sept and walking the Mare e Monti but cutting off at Evisa to walk to Corte.

I hope that you have a good trip and we may see you walking the opposite direction. I have a blue rucksack and my wife a black one.

Best Regards

Ray

--

Ray

patsy

Posted: Mon, Aug 8, 2016, 9:07

Hi Ray

Will watch out for you as I think you're doing our route in reverse! We're prehistoric and both have blue rucksacks, though mine is smaller than Mike's. Have a lovely trip!

Pat

--

Patsy

RayGrange

Posted: Mon, Aug 8, 2016, 17:15

Many thanks Pat.

I hope that you do not mind me asking.

One query I have is whether you have taken walking poles on the plane in hand luggage. When you look into what you can take they are prohibited. So we have always booked hold luggage in case there was a problem.

Just interested in others experiences.

Kind Regards

Ray

--

Ray

patsy

Posted: Mon, Aug 8, 2016, 18:11

Hi Ray

Don't mind you asking at all - ask away! I'm afraid Mike and I don't use walking poles, although our oldest offspring did try and persuade us to after his trip up Kilimanjaro. However, when we've seen other walkers at Gatwick or a Corsican airport, they've always had their poles in their hold luggage. We tend to do hold luggage anyhow, as to allow for the amount of water we take. On the way back we manage to bring wine, liqueur etc so need the extra room and weight.

A funny to leave you with - last year, waiting in the queue at Ajaccio airport, the man behind me, noting I was wearing walking boots, said with great surprise - 'do people go walking on Corsica?' He was totally serious!

Pat

--

Patsy

RayGrange

Posted: Mon, Aug 8, 2016, 18:25

Dear Pat

Many thanks. We did take our collapsible poles in hold luggage on our last trip only to find someone on the plane that had taken theirs exposed carrying them on!

Best Regards

Ray

--

Ray

Steve Dan

Posted: Tue, Aug 9, 2016, 17:01

Hello Ray. Just a quick one on the flight/train connection.
If you land anywhere near on schedule, it's perfectly feasable to jump a quick 10 minute taxi ride to Casamozza and pick up the Calvi train from there. I've done it on my last three visits wihtout having to rush it.
There may even be time for a liesurely coffee at the Cafe Phaaron (up on the main street)
And hello again, Patsy. Great to hear you're back on the trail. New boots?
Steve.

RayGrange

Posted: Tue, Aug 9, 2016, 17:19

Dear Steve

Many thanks.

As the flight gets in at 9:25 and the train at Cazamozza is at 9:43 I thought that it was too tight especially as we need to wait for hold luggage. (We are only taking hold luggage as we have walking poles and they are not allowed in hand luggage)

If the plane lands early and we get out of the airport in good time we may risk it but we still need to get train tickets. Missing the train means we will have to get a taxi to Bastia - spend the day there and wait for the 16:44 to Calvi.

I thought it safer to get the airport bus to Bastia.

Was your plane landing the same time - 9:25 ? or earlier.

Kind Regards

Ray

--

Ray

Steve Dan

Posted: Tue, Aug 9, 2016, 17:49

Ray, my apologies.
My plane did indeed land at 9.25, but the trains in May are on the winter timetable. 11.10 to Calvi.
Sorry about that.
Steve.

RayGrange

Posted: Tue, Aug 9, 2016, 18:28

Dear Steve

Many thanks - I appreciate that you are trying to help.

Perhaps we should have planned a week later then the trains would be on the Winter timetable.

We were on the plane a coupe of years ago and shared a taxi with a chap to Cassamozza - we were going on to Moriani Plage - to walk the Mare a Mare Nord. So that must have been a later week.

We do not mind spending a day in Bastia but I think that we will be tired when we arrive in Calvi at 8:00pm after being up at 5:30am.

Kind Regards

Ray

--

Ray

patsy

Posted: Tue, Aug 9, 2016, 18:34

hi Steve

Good to hear from you! Yes, new boots - waited until middle offspring Emily came home from Nepal to be bridesmaid to her best school friend! She was buying high altitude gear so I tagged along! Best advice! General comments were that buying from a cut price large sports retailer was not a good idea!

Haven't got a timetable for September for the train - we want to go to Corte from Bastia. Do you know what times are on offer? Will be September 11th from 9:25 arrival plane!

Patsy

--

Patsy

Steve Dan

Posted: Tue, Aug 9, 2016, 19:49

Sorry Patsy, I have no info on the mid September trains, though I should think the timetables will be posted before you fly.
By the way, it was a completley different kind of May this year. Got snowed on above Asco, May 15th.
Steve.

Steve Dan

Posted: Wed, Aug 31, 2016, 17:40

Hello again Patsy.
Just in case you hav'nt got this, the train times from Sept 5th have now been posted on the Corsica Bus and Rail website.
Steve