Does helicopter rescue cost money in the gr20?

DavidAv

Posted: Tue, Jul 26, 2016, 16:41

In other words, do I have to do a special insurance for helicopter rescue, in case I need it?

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Jul 26, 2016, 19:52

I'm not sure if helicopter rescue does cost anything on Corsica but one tip I do have from trips elsewhere in Europe is to buy Austrian Alpine Club membership.
You get reduced rates (reciprocal rights) in Alpine huts including Club Alpine Francais refuges and there's sufficient cover for possible rescue, even by helicopter.
This is based on you using E111 card medical treatment coverage as well and I'm not sure if there would be any reduction in Corsica refuges or camping.
AAC membership isn't travel insurance but the reduced hut rates often mean the membership cost is cancelled out by the discounts.
The alternative for UK residents is BMC insurance.

--

Alan

Tarjei

Posted: Tue, Jul 26, 2016, 20:01

I would be really really surprised if a helicopter rescue won't cost anything, do assume it will cost a lot.
Anyway, if you have an insurance, I would recommend to check with your insurance company if it covers rescue by helicopter (or mountain extraction) and how high up in altitude the insurance covers.

Tarjei

DavidAv

Posted: Tue, Jul 26, 2016, 20:07

Paddy Dylon writes in version 2016 of his book, at page 32 at the bottom, that "The mountain rescue service is generally free but medical intervention may be costly.".

Kevski

Posted: Thu, Jul 28, 2016, 9:04

Mountain rescue by helicopter on mainland France, in the Alps for example, is generally free but those rescued could (I believe) be penalised for negligence, misuse of public services. Don't know exactly how that works but, for example, if you become tired walking down from a climb, you can't just call the rescue and get them to send a chopper on the basis that your life is somehow in danger and you need to be rescued.

I'd be surprised if the same rules don't apply in Corsica.

--

Kevin

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Jul 28, 2016, 11:15

There are "rules" about when helicopters can and can't be used, and who authorizes them, and who pays for them. It's complicated, but mountain rescue is a state matter, while rescues from designated ski areas are often a matter for the local mayor to decide. With most mountain rescues, the person being rescued won't be made to pay, but in ski areas it's more likely that you will have to pay. If you need medical assistance from a doctor involved in your rescue, then he has to be paid. Waving an E111 at him probably won't help, so medical insurance would be a good idea. For UK residents, it's likely that the E111 will no longer be valid if the country leaves the EU.