trekking with a baby

einat

Posted: Sat, Jul 30, 2016, 20:02

Hi! my husband and i are planning to walk on one of corsica's trails this septmber with our 4 month old (sweet) baby. we want to walk for about 8-10 days and we need the walk to be not too challenging, days not longer than 6 hours and and preferrably sleeping option of double rooms and not dormitories (at least for most nights). which trail would you recomend? we were thinking of either the mer to mer nor (starting from corte) or mer a monti nord. thanks alot in advance!
einat

DavidAv

Posted: Sun, Jul 31, 2016, 10:29

חכו שנתיים-שלוש

einat

Posted: Sun, Jul 31, 2016, 12:31

הי דוד,
יכול לפרט קצת? איזה טרק עשית? ולמה לדעתך זה לא אפשרי עם תינוק? (אנחנו הלכנים די מנוסים...)
תודה!

DavidAv

Posted: Sun, Jul 31, 2016, 14:31

אתחיל ללכת אותו לראשונה בתחילת ספטמבר עם בני בן ה 17, אני בן 66. הטרק קשה. ראי לדוגמה קישור זה

https://cookingintongues.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/stage-7-refuge-de-m...

בניגוד לטרקים אחרים שמסלולם עובר בשבילים שנוצרו במשך מאות שנים כשאנשים רצו לעבור ממקום למקום - טרק זה הוגדר לפני כארבעים שנים על קו רכס ההרים באי, כמעט כולו לא על שביל, וכל יום עולים ויורדים מאות מטרים. בלי תינוק ודאי לא תתקשו ללכת שם

Michele

Posted: Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 7:53

I'd like to remind all people that this is an English speaking forum. So please use the courtesy to write in English.

Thank you

DavidAv

Posted: Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 13:01

Sorry

william platt 2016

Posted: Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 13:06

Dear Trekking with a baby. The GR20 is extremely tough. The accommodation is very basic. With only a few exceptions the huts have no double rooms or baby facilities. I am not to sure the rest of the hut would appreciate being woken up in the middle of the night no matter how sweet the baby. There are a number of side routes which might suit your purpose but I am not familiar with them so can't offer advice. But please please please research and think very carefully before you make any decsions.

--

Regards
William

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 13:49

Many years ago I read a blog written by a couple who trekked the GR20 with a very young baby. If that is possible, then anything is possible. I can't find the blog online, but I remember that it seemed to be good fun. If I remember right, the only negative comments came from the guardians at Carrozzu. The mother and father were climbers, which must have helped. I think the father carried the baby on his back and the mother carried all the kit.

einat

Posted: Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 14:16

hi! thankyou all for the responses, as i wrote we are not planning on doing the GR20, i know that this is a tough one, we were thinking of either the mare a mare nord starting from corte (maybe with some variation of the main treck) or mare et monti- they should be easier right? how can i find out about the sleeping facilities? where can i find the contact details of the different gites?
my husband is a climber and i am quite a good walker so if the trail is not too challenging and if the sleeping facilities are good i think we will be alright...

einat

Posted: Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 14:16

hi! thankyou all for the responses, as i wrote we are not planning on doing the GR20, i know that this is a tough one, we were thinking of either the mare a mare nord starting from corte (maybe with some variation of the main treck) or mare et monti nord - they should be easier right? how can i find out about the sleeping facilities? where can i find the contact details of the different gites?
my husband is a climber and i am quite a good walker so if the trail is not too challenging and if the sleeping facilities are good i think we will be alright...

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 15:35

Hello,
The Topo Guide...Entre mer et Montagne produced by FF Randonnee has all that you would need for travel on all five of the non GR20 routes on the Island...phone numbers of all the gites etc.
I used it in 2008 for the first time but I guess maybe even has Web site stuff now.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 17:34

Try www.gites-refuges.com and search through the itineraries to find 'corse', then pick whatever treks you want to walk, then you'll see a list of all the available gîtes and refuges. It only gives addresses and telephone numbers.

einat

Posted: Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 19:09

thankyou so much! does anyone know if these gites usually have privte rooms (on the mare a mare nord trail) and also: how full is it usually around mid september? how much time in advanced is it nessecary to book a place?

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Aug 2, 2016, 12:08

You will have to contact each one and see what they say. Gîtes usually have a number of rooms, and one might be suitable for what you need. If it is very busy then you will just have to take whatever beds are available. I was woken one night by a baby crying in the bed next to me, and its parents were on the far side of the room. Maybe they were hoping that I would take care of it for them.

patsy

Posted: Sun, Aug 7, 2016, 17:24

Hi Einat

We walked the first half of the Mare a Mare Nord last year from Moriana Plage to Corte. Gave it up then because my boot sole parted company with my boot just above Corte! Mare a Mare eastern gites were empty (this was May) and all had several rooms with 4-6 beds in each. Food was very good. No doubles as far as I remember. In Corte you could get a hotel - there are several good cheap ones. The first gite out of Moriana, I Penti, had just reopened when we got there. The only other thing to remember is that it could get very hot and several stages were lacking in trees. Have a great time!

--

Patsy

Rene3

Posted: Mon, Aug 29, 2016, 7:15

Well, I have a passion for travelling, but I have to be careful about the safety of my babies. Therefore, I have bought a double stroller for them, so that it helps protecting them from sun and makes them feel comfortable while I take them for an outing. However, I don’t think that it would be possible to carry twin babies together without having such a gadget in hand. Isn’t it?

pj123

Posted: Thu, Feb 9, 2017, 18:04

Einat, did you manage to go? How was it if you did? We are thinking about the same with our 2 year old in 09/2017.

--

pj

einat

Posted: Thu, Feb 9, 2017, 18:36

Hi!
yes we did! it was great!! we did 5 days of the variant of mar e mar nord from corte to otta. the only difficulty we had is that we didn't want to sleep in dormotories with the baby so it was a bit complicated to find suitble gits. (normallly most gits we asked had only common rooms but it's not alwasy true). the treck was quite challenging thouh so you'll have to carry your child on your back i guess it's different with a two year old than a 4 month old- heavier, less patient to sit so long etc... anyway we had a great time!!!

einat

Posted: Thu, Feb 9, 2017, 18:37

Hi!
yes we did! it was great!! we did 5 days of the variant of mar e mar nord from corte to otta. the only difficulty we had is that we didn't want to sleep in dormotories with the baby so it was a bit complicated to find suitble gits. (normallly most gits we asked had only common rooms but it's not alwasy true). the treck was quite challenging thouh so you'll have to carry your child on your back i guess it's different with a two year old than a 4 month old- heavier, less patient to sit so long etc... anyway we had a great time!!!