Late September - Conca to Calenzana Trail Questions!

ebeswick

Posted: Fri, Aug 5, 2016, 22:18

Hey Everybody,

A friend and I are all set for an arrival via overnight ferry from Marseille on the 27 of September. We've got most of everything set up except our food and water.. so a few questions.

1. Does anyone know how many of the refuges will be open at that point? We are planning on camping so it's more for food/water/amenities other than beds. I suspect that the Vizzavona will still be a restocking point but we are trying to figure out how much food we'll need to carry.

2. Any ideas on the trail conditions we'll see towards the latter half? We've got a 3 season tent and rain gear, but do we need to expand beyond that? Trying to keep this mostly lightweight but don't want to get caught off guard.

3. What's the water source like on the island? We've been debating purifiers, filters and tablet combinations but have yet to make a decision. I know we aren't talking about an undeveloped place but the last thing we want is GI issues.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Ethan

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Aug 6, 2016, 7:00

1. The refuges will be open. It stays busy through September.
2. It should be good on September, but who really knows? Any day can be good or bad.
3. The water is good to drink straight from the source. If you drink from rivers, then you should treat it. If water is bad for drinking, a notice will tell you.

petermcl

Posted: Sat, Aug 6, 2016, 17:30

Hi Ethan,
My advice would be to take your whole day's water supply from the sources at the refuges and maybe take a handful of purifier tablets for emergencies. The refuge sources are good. You'll need bottle/platypus capacity of around 2.5L, but maybe a bit less because it'll be cooler when you're on the trail.

I had some fairly cold nights in the tent in June last year so you might want to think about taking a warm bag. I'll be on the trail about 3 weeks before you and will try to remember to report back on nighttime temperatures.

--

Regards,
petermcl.

ebeswick

Posted: Sun, Aug 7, 2016, 23:13

Thanks for both of the quick responses. I figured we'd end up with carrying capacity in the 3+ liter range.

I get that weather can be questionable year round, but just wanting to make sure there weren't too many issues with our plan.

I was given a 20 degree bag which I realize will be overkill, but figured I'd bring it with a sleeping pad but Petermcl, getting an idea once you get back would be awesome.

Thanks for all the help,

Ethan