Sleeping bag or Silk bag starting August 22

sxr

Posted: Thu, Aug 18, 2016, 23:42

I'm flying out tomorrow and would like to lighten up my pack. I have a 3 season "never winter" marmot sleeping bag and a sea to summit silk bag. Is the sleeping bag necessary? I'm starting in Calenzana and ending in Vizzavona.

Thanks

grcotedazur20

Posted: Sat, Aug 20, 2016, 15:26

I did it without and it was uncomfortable. I had a down jacket. You could try but I would not do it if you don't have a down jacket and some pants.

hotelmedicis

Posted: Sun, Aug 21, 2016, 15:28

Oh my God. You'll be sleeping at over 2 km. It gets cold. Bring the sleeping bag.

Backstroke

Posted: Sun, Aug 21, 2016, 19:38

I did not do the dortoire but some who did commented that they regretted not bringing proper warm bags. There is a discussion /competition each night about leaving the windows open or not.

Alistair Wales

Posted: Tue, Aug 23, 2016, 18:10

Thanks for this thread, I'm starting the GR20 on 30/8/16 and wasn't going take a sleeping bag. I am assuming that the refuge's have blankets? Is that correct?
Thanks for any feedback.

--

wow

sxr

Posted: Tue, Aug 23, 2016, 19:29

I've learned the sleeping bag is necessary. Some advice for allstair whales- if you're starting from calenzana and you're a strong hiker, try to do 2 stages in 1. I saw several people doing it. They were arriving at the first refuge before 12. I suggest this because the refuge is one of the least desirable you'll see. Poor food and very poor bathrooms/shower. Start very early and keep going but be safe.

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Aug 24, 2016, 6:53

Alistair. Refuges DON'T have blankets. You get a mattress and nothing else.