GR20 with a toddler + Food Supply

TTodorova

Posted: Tue, Nov 15, 2016, 12:39

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has done the GR20 with a small kid. The idea is that on parent carries the child in the special backpack and the one carries the rest of the stuff. Has anyone done it?

Also, are there any reliable food stores or supply stores along the way? Or nearby the route.

Many thanks!

Have a good day,
Teodora

Michele

Posted: Wed, Nov 16, 2016, 6:40

I suppose it could be done but I wouldn't recommend it. A toddler needs special care that it's hard to give on such a rough and very basic trail. Also the "food stores" are mostly the refugees that sell canned food and other hikers' supplies; not sure you can find any special toddler's food (if that was the sense of your question).

--Michele

OnTheSocks

Posted: Fri, Nov 18, 2016, 9:57

I strongly advise AGAINST doing the GR20 with a toddler.

Aside from the supplies aspect, please bear in mind that most of the GR20 is running through a high mountain range. Great weather and easy navigation should NOT be taken for granted. Rapidly changing weather conditions, including thunderstorms, thick fog, high gales and serious temperature drops with snowfall even in the summer months can turn the trail into a challenge even for fit and experienced adult hikers.
Furthermore, there are sections involving exposed scrambling/climbing, which can be easy-going if you have climbing/mountaineering experience, but nevertheless can become impassable if weather is turning really bad. An emergency bivy out there is no fun, and there aren't many spots where you could pitch a tent in such a situation.

Cheers,
oTs

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Nov 18, 2016, 10:16

It has been done before. I read a blog about it many years ago, but can't find it now. I think it was a couple from London, carrying a baby. Mum and Dad both had rock climbing backgrounds. Dad carried the baby, shielded from the sun by a parasol, and Mum looked like she carried everything else. As far as I can remember, the only harsh criticism they got was from the guardians at Carozzu. Of course, in those days the route went through the Cirque de la Solitude too. I think that whether it's a good or bad idea depends on your ability and skill levels.

OnTheSocks

Posted: Fri, Nov 18, 2016, 12:30

I don't doubt I can be done, but rather if this is a responsible thing to do. I've also met parents with 5 year old kids at 4800m in the Himalayas. It can be done, too. But it's a question of which price you are willing to pay if something goes wrong.

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Nov 19, 2016, 10:16

Hello,
Can I suggest an alternative to the very crowded rough trail of GR20. There are at least five other multi day trails on the island.
1. There are villages/hamlets at each stage of the trail. 2. The cumulative ascent each day is around 600 metres whereas the GR20 has around 850 metres of uphill stuff. 3. There are gites/hostels/refuges at the overnight places. 4. Mostly quiet and without the hustle and bustle of the GR20.

--

Gaffr

buster30

Posted: Mon, Nov 28, 2016, 22:54

In my opinion and as a parent of two, not a good idea.