GR20_8days_2017

Paolo

Posted: Fri, Dec 23, 2016, 2:06

Dear All,

we are 2 friends (maybe 3) and we would like to do the GR20 from north to south (we can still change our mind) in June 2017. For different reasons we have only 8 full days available and we think it is doable but we would like to ask some questions and/o share some thoughts. I hope they are not too many!

is end of June a good period? I guess so from what I read online, the snow should be gone if I am correct (of course it can change from year to year),what about Cirque de la Solitude? will it be open in 2017?I did not find enough info about it

are 8 full days enough? the online opinions are so different that I am absolutely confused, we do a lot of hiking in the alps so I assume we are quite fit and prepared also for difficult soil.

http://www.wanderland.ch/de/routen/etappe-01239.html
here is an example of what we did in one day with normal effort and 2 quite long break for lunch and middle of the afternoon. do you think Gr20 is much more difficult that difficult hikes in the alps?

we will land in Bastia on Saturday around 11 am, i guess this day could be just good to move to calvi enjoy the area and sleep directly in calenzana, any good place where to sleep there?
From Sunday morning we would like to start the GR20 and we have 8 full days, we would like to keep the Monday after as a backup day incase something goes wrong, our flight is on Tuesday.
at the end of GR we could do conca-Bastia by bus, what about the idea of taking the ferry from porto vecchio to golfo aranci? we could easily catch a flight from there (Olbia), I do not like busses so much and I have the feeling the ferry from porto vecchio to golfo aranci offers a much nicer view of the coast? am I too optimistic?

what is the itinerary you would suggest for 8 days? I just thought to merge the stages 2 by 2, any particular suggestion? link I should look at? is there only one main path or are there many shortcut and we need to carefully decide which one we are going to take?

moreover i really enjoy taking pictures, day and night pictures, do you recommend any particular hut on the GR20? with a particular view or a particular positive comment? of course it will be difficult to match the need of doing it in 8 days and choose the best huts but we will try.

thank you very much!
Best
Paolo

--

Paolo

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Dec 24, 2016, 18:03

Hello,
I could try to offer some help. I been have a few times to The GR's on Corsica...as have many other contributors to the Forum.
You say June for your visit....you stand a better chance of having it snow free if you start nearer Middle to the end of June. My own visits have been early and middle of June. In 2013 I began the walk in the South in 2013 to avoid snow problems in the North... it does vary form year to year.

I have always followed the 15 day schedule which for my age is appropriate so have never had to do any doubling up on the route.

The Cirque, owing to the big rock fall, is no longer the route....I hear that the chains etc. have all been removed. The route now goes up close to the top of Cintu before descending to Tighettu.

You could always, if the eight day schedule is proving hard to keep, cut out at Vizzavona and get back to the Bastia area by train.

I know it is perhaps difficult/tedious to sift through all of this type of query on the Forum....most of this has been brought up on the Forum over the years.

All the best for your walk.

--

Gaffr

Paolo

Posted: Sat, Dec 24, 2016, 18:18

thank you for the info, it is good to have the confirmation that The Cirque is definitely closed, in this way we can plan it via Monte Cinto.

we will probably start around the 20th of June.

yes I did check a lot of other post and I learnt a lot from them but somehow I was not sure about many of the points mentioned above this why I decided to write a post with all the questions I was not sure about.

maybe some other hikers have more info to add :)

Best

--

Paolo

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Dec 24, 2016, 22:23

Hello,
You ask about accommodation in Calenzana....I camp throughout the walks in Corse. At the Calenzana camping there is also a refuge/gite.

As for effort on the stages of the GR20 they probably equate to stages of the route through the Vanoise that travels over cols of 2,600-2,700 metres each day but I would say that these paths are much easier to walk over than on some of the GR20 stages. The hut walk up to say the Mischabel refuge (Valais Alps) has some scrambling that would relate to a few of the stages on the GR20.
Difference is perhaps the alpine effort including a summit is for usually two days of work whereas the GR20 is normally over fifteen days and adding also the effort of carrying the full camping and cooking kit that many of the folks do when on the route.

I think that I right to say that the average amount of ascending each day...over the 15 stages...is around 900mtrs.

--

Gaffr

Paolo

Posted: Sun, Dec 25, 2016, 0:15

Hello Gaffr,

thank you very much.

Average ascending of 900m a day is fine for us, 2000 m uphill is feasible if we are in good shape. it is good to know that some of the hikes are very difficult in term of soil (probably not every stage will be like that), from the videos and movies I saw it does not look lie so bad and this is exactly why I asked. I agree it is not the same to go uphill 2000 m on easy or not easy path…for my taste uphill it is always ok, downhill bit worst (we won't be able to go downhill very fast if the soil is difficult).

I've never been to the Mischabel Hut, it looks super nice, i think i'll add this to the list of hut I want to visit for next summer after Gr20 most probably.

for the weight true, we will not carry camping things as we aim to be light but i'll carry camera and so on which will make my backpack not light.

thanks again for your comments, we have more and more elements to decide how to plan the trip. I am still very tempted to do it in 8 days :)

Merry Christmas….

--

Paolo

grcotedazur20

Posted: Sun, Dec 25, 2016, 1:04

Hey. I tried to do the GR 20 in a week south to north, but I had back problems on the first day. I ended up taking five days to complete the South part. Four days still would have been easy. Three would have been difficult. I did the alpine variants, which I feel are worth doing. I have done the normal GR 20, but I really liked the variants. If I were you, at Vizzavona I would go up the Col de Vizzavona variant to Monte Renoso. I did not try this way, but I think it would be interesting. It would skip the ski station. Then you can go to Monte Renoso. Then you can either follow the ridge or go down a little west to lac de vitalaca and a valley that will take you to the Plateau d'Eze. It is your choice, but going this way you would follow cairns, which can be difficult. But if you take the ridge you will also go to the Pleateau d'Eze. Then there is an old way to go to Uscioulu by going on a ridge instead of going to bergeries.

I would say take nine to ten days and do the alpine variants. Monte Cinto. Aiguilles de Bavella, etc.