info. required

Marc kemp

Posted: Tue, Jan 3, 2017, 11:45

Hi one and all and a happy new year, I'm looking at having a crack at the northern section of the GR 20 2nd week in June this year. I have a couple of questions.

Has anyone had any problems with taking a rucksack as main luggage before?
I have a jet boil stove I have previously that there may be trouble getting gas for it although the hippo store in Calvi may be open on a Sunday and sells both types of canister?
Is it worth buying food before we go or to buy it once on the island?

Many thanks
Boomboom

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jan 4, 2017, 7:38

'rucksack as main luggage'?.....I take it that you mean on a flight?
Only once have I been asked to wrap the rucksack in a polythene bag on a flight out from Costa Blanca...have been back to the same flight and never been asked again.
On all the flights to Corsica no problems encountered....Edinburgh/Heathrow to Bastia when BA had the flight, Edinburgh/ Nice to Bastia and Manchester direct to Bastia Poretta. I always make sure that the straps are not flapping and well tucked in.
Must say that I always have a couple of meals in my sack when travelling....pasta/tin of fish.
As you say I have obtained gas and extras from the 'Sunday store' in Calpi. In addition the small store close to the Calinzana camping will be open on Monday morning.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jan 4, 2017, 8:24

I rarely try and check in a rucsac as cabin baggage. On two occasions it's been emptied at the security check and items would have been confiscated if I hadn't argued about them. I had to argue in French in Corsica. If they spot your stove, they'll take it. I had to argue about tent pegs and a small can opener on separate flights, and both times they were concerned that I could use them as weapons. I had to stab myself with my tent legs to prove that I couldn't use them as weapons. I did it gently. I didn't want to hurt myself! The only save way to carry backpacking equipment is in the hold.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jan 4, 2017, 9:05

When MK asked about problems with a rucksack as main luggage I assumed that he meant luggage into the aircraft hold? and is there a problem with a stove without fuel? I have always carried my gas stove in the aircraft hold but without fuel. No problems.
As far as cabin luggage goes I have a canvas shopping bag, that can be folded up and kept until return in my sack, in which I carry my boots and a few other items.

--

Gaffr