GR20 in April or May

MrFaulty

Posted: Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 1:08

Hi, I am looking at doign the GR20 in April or May - I am hoping for a bit cooler weather and less crowds, but is this time of year too cold? I will be looking at doing it solo fron south to north.

Thanks
Ben

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 9:57

Hi Ben, please check out my blog here https://gr20corsica.wordpress.com/about/ for any useful info.

Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 10:18

The high parts will be covered in snow and ice. You'll need ice axe, crampons and ropes, as well as all the skills to use them safely. Markers painted on the rocks will be buried and it won't always be obvious where you are supposed to be going. The PNRC refuges will be open, but without any guardians present. You will have to carry all your food. Bergeries and most of the hotels will be closed, and most buses crossing the trail won't be operating. You won't meet many trekkers and if anything bad happens, there won't be anyone to get a message out.

MrFaulty

Posted: Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 10:44

Thanks, I have read this in detail, iit is very well written and detailed!

MrFaulty

Posted: Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 10:47

Thanks, so even late May will be too dangerous? I am an experienced walker and will be totally self sufficient, however my climbing skills are limited to low grade rope climbing.
Thanks again
Ben

MrFaulty

Posted: Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 10:47

Thanks, so even late May will be too dangerous? I am an experienced walker and will be totally self sufficient, however my climbing skills are limited to low grade rope climbing.
Thanks again
Ben

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 20:58

Nobody can tell for sure because the weather is unpredictable; sometimes we get an early summer, other times there is still plenty of snow in the higher parts in late June. I'm not saying it's impossible but some parts need to be negotiated with utmost care, experience and equipment (Tighjettu-Asco is one and Bocca a e Porte is another - both on the northern section.).
I suggest you keep an eye on the weather reports around the beginning of May and decide what to do. If you're lucky you may be able to complete at least the southern section.

--Michele

MrFaulty

Posted: Wed, Jan 11, 2017, 1:57

Thanks, I really want to walk the entire length and I need to plan ahead for booking flights etc, so I may hedge my bets for June.

Thanks again
Ben