Using a GPS

MrFaulty

Posted: Thu, Jan 12, 2017, 22:37

Hi, I am doing the GR 20 (south to north) in early June. I am going to take my Garmin etrex 30 so I can record the trip. Can anyone confirm that this will work as I am from Australia so it is an Australian model? I think it should as it works off satellites.

If it will owrk, can someone tell me what maps I need and where I should purchase them? I am a bit new to GPS sorry.

Cheers
Ben

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jan 13, 2017, 11:03

Hello,
As you will probably be aware that the GR20 is so well marked that a GPS would not be needed for navigation.
I have only ever used my GPS on the hills around Scotland so have not ever taken it abroad. I guess you would have to change the settings to match up with the French IGN system?
I have the IGN 1:25,000 maps for the length of the GR20....six maps in all....I only took them with me the first time that I went down there....too much weight to carry around.
However I did get the 1:100,000 IGN maps Nos. 175 and 176 which I found useful to give me a wider picture of the terrain than that provided by the Guide book basic maps....and they do say that these maps are 'compatible avec le systeme GPS'....whatever exactly that means?

Also I did download, I think that it was from a link on this site, the linear route maps for the GR20.
9 for the Northern section and of course 6 for the Southern section. Of course, although proper IGN maps 1:25,000, they are printable onto A4 paper but like the guidebooks just give a linear map view for each stage.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Jan 14, 2017, 10:01

A GPS is OK for most of the time on the GR20, but in places where the trail keeps changing direction on very steep rock, it will be almost useless. Trust the paint marks FIRST. The paint marks are better than any map or GPS.

MrFaulty

Posted: Mon, Jan 16, 2017, 1:49

Thanks, will the paint marks be as obvious if Im walking from south to north? I have just finished reaing Paddy Dillos book and whilst I think the book is fantastic, it is going to be a bit more confusing as I am doing it in the opposite direction - I almost need to read the book backwards and replace ascent with descent etc. But I am worried that the paint marks wont be so obvious going this way.

Thanks
Ben

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jan 16, 2017, 11:33

Hello McFaulty,
I have been along the route in both directions and didn't find any real problems with the markings on the route in either direction.
While not paying attention on day one coming up from the South, just after the bergeries de Capeddu I wandered a bit too far to the left after 100 mtrs. or so I retraced my track and regained the trail when my eye caught the red/white paint mark on a wee rib of rock.
On page 229 of PD's guide there is Reverse Route Summary which is of some help but really the book is so well set up that you can follow his 'corridor maps' for each stage in reverse without needing to read descriptions too much during the day.....a bit of 'reading up' each evening prior to the stage...we call them our nocturnal readings.... tends to serve you well.
Going from south to north on the route starts you off with a gentle day with gradual ascents up to Paliri refuge and you second day can be easier too if you travel on the Lower level route. But quite honestly despite the ups and downs of the Variant route I found that this way was a bit quicker than the lower route. The horizontal distance was less on the Variant.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Jan 17, 2017, 7:16

The paint marks seem to work the same in both directions.