Early planning

JackEdmond1993

Posted: Sat, Jan 14, 2017, 13:32

Hi all
I'm looking to be doing the GR20 trip with a friend in early to mid June this year and just looking to have a few questions answered.
We are both keen walkers in our early 20s with a good level of fitness. I did the Annapurna circuit last November with little difficulty and having been blessed enough to live in the lake district UK, we often head out on the fells for multiple day walks. However we have limited actual climbing experience, will this be a problem? We will (time allowing) be getting out and about as much as possible with full bags to get as much training as possible
Regarding the route, comparatively to the Annapurna how well is it marked out? Iv heard conflicting reports, some saying well painted, others saying the route is poorly maintained so often marker stones are overgrown.
We will be taking our own tents for the walk but is it required to book at the refuges? We would like the flexibility to be able to have a rest day etc if needed mid trek without being held to a schedule. Although i can appreciate that camp sites may fill up.
And lastly weather wise, while i know it is liable to change year to year, what are peoples experiences of hiking the route early/mid june? We were hoping get there when the snow is no longer a problem but the heat isnt too over powering.

Thanks in advance
Jack

roesti32

Posted: Sat, Jan 14, 2017, 15:33

Hey,

I did the route rather untrained and also with little climbing experience, and didn't have a problem. The rocks have a good grip (when dry, I did not have a rainy day). It was my first trip with a heavy backpack, and there has never been a situation where I felt uncomfortable. Just take your time if necessary.
Concerning the marking: there were quite some times where it wasn't entirely clear where the route was heading, but the worst was maybe a delay of 20 minutes. The vast majority of the trail is very well marked. After a while, you'll also get a feeling where the way is headed.
You don't need to book in advance for your own tent. The camp sites have always had enough free space this august, I don't know for June.

--

Regards, Simon

Fanta 65

Posted: Sun, Jan 15, 2017, 7:41

Hi Jack, we did the south part in early June 2016. we had our own tent. We did not book in advance and had never a problem to pitch our tent. We had no snow in the southern part. People, who where coming from the northern part reported that there was still snow at bocca a e porte and monte cinto. Last Year it was a winter with few snow, so you have to check the weather reports on meteo france. It is a good idea to start in the south, so the snow can melt while you are walking.
Good luck and have a good trip
Frank

--

Fanta 65

JackEdmond1993

Posted: Sun, Jan 15, 2017, 12:22

Thanks for your quick replies and advice guys.
We were hoping to do the northern part first so to get the toughest bit out of the way early. So will maybe look to do it a little later in June. However I think we will plan both routes in case snow is going to be a problem.
I'll check that website thanks Fanta 65