Pack Size

wooodytc

Posted: Mon, Jan 16, 2017, 12:21

Hi,

I'm doing the GR20 in August this year. Was wondering if I'd get away with a 48L backpack? I'm torn between the Osprey Kestrel 48L and the Atmos 50L.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Ta

--

Woody

roesti32

Posted: Mon, Jan 16, 2017, 15:56

That depends, although I already think it's rather small. Do you bring your own tent?

--

Regards, Simon

wooodytc

Posted: Mon, Jan 16, 2017, 16:07

Hi Simon,

Ideally we're just going to stay in the refuges and not bring a tent but we've heard a rumour that it's not possible to book refuges anymore and it's done on a first come, first served basis.

Do you know if that's true?

Cheers,

--

Woody

roesti32

Posted: Mon, Jan 16, 2017, 17:05

I haven't heard about this, and the parc-corse.org site doesn't look like they've changed anything. But maybe someone else knows more.
The backpack I used has 60L of space, and it was enough. With food for 2 days, it was completely full. Subtracting the sleeping pad and the tent I brought, you should probably be fine with either of them. Second opinions appreciated ;).

https://lighterpack.com/r/4qs73v

The list above contains the stuff I carried in my backpack, just to give an idea what 60L can carry.

--

Regards, Simon

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jan 16, 2017, 17:44

Hello,
First come first served was how it was in 2007 when I first went down there....not that I ever used the refuges but had my tent and camping stuff.
Maybe they are returning to the former system after trying the pre booking system for a few years.
Also maybe the system went haywire when hold ups occurred because of bad weather perhaps.
I use a 60L. Osprey sack and carry the full camping kit.
Remember also that tents can be hired at the refuges along with sleeping mats.

--

Gaffr

Gingerbrews

Posted: Mon, Jan 16, 2017, 20:06

I used an Osprey Exos 48l which was more than adequate. Spotted quite a few others using it too.

--

Rm

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Jan 17, 2017, 7:13

I hiked the trail with a 38L pack. It was a bit of a squeeze.