Refuges Reservations

zazaza22

Posted: Wed, Jan 25, 2017, 19:09

Hi Everyone,

I would like to confirm one thing because I found different information regarding to reservations on GR 20.

I scheduled my GR20 trip for September this year (01-22.09). I take my tent with me because I rather prefer to sleep outside.

My question is: Should I (or maybe I have to) book place for tent in advance (for particular days or go-through time)?
I absolutely don't understand any French word. Park's website http://parc-corse.org looks like they do not provide English version. The only thing I found helpful it was information that reservation system will be available from the February.

I also have made a research in the internet and found article (quite old, from 2009) http://blog.cicerone.co.uk/gr20-corsica-prebooking-refuges-compulsory/ and the author states: "Any walkers wanting either to stay in the refuges or camp beside them must now book and pay in advance."

The best option for me is to reach particular refuge and then tell them that I want to stay one night here and pay for it. I want to be free :)
If the reservations are mandatory - when I reach the refuge without proof that I paid, Are they tell me just go back? It's hard to predict all days in advance. The weather can change immediately and then hiker is forced by weather to stay one day longer. What then?

Anyone who has current information about that, please share your knowledge with me/us.
I appreciate any responce.

Thank you,
Paweł

Michele

Posted: Wed, Jan 25, 2017, 21:02

Pawel,
if you carry your own tent you don't have to worry about reservations; as soon as you arrive at the hut, just report to the guardian who will make you pay what's due and will tell you to find yourself a spot for your tent (and good luck with that). In fact since there are no predetermined/numbered pitches, any place will do. And that's why the reservation is unnecessary.

--Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jan 25, 2017, 22:38

Yes - you will be OK with your own tent. You only need to book in advance to camp if you have no tent and want to use one of the tents already at the refuges. The tents already pitched at the refuges are on the best places. When you bring your own tent, you will usually end up with quite rough and stony places.

zazaza22

Posted: Thu, Jan 26, 2017, 11:32

Thank you a lot! That sounds good :)
Do hut's staff speak English or rather I should have a paper with few sentences in French.
Yesterday I checked with google translator few sentences in French and it was so funny. There is no possibility to repeat it :)

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jan 26, 2017, 13:30

Though the Corsicans don't excel in English, I'm pretty sure they can handle some basic conversation. Or there will always be someone else around able to translate.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jan 26, 2017, 13:51

Paddy Dillon's wee guide to the GR20 has in appendix 3 a few very useful French phrases to get you by. Or like myself always travel with a French woman. :-)

--

Gaffr