May south->north bound

Cait Holmes

Posted: Tue, Feb 14, 2017, 19:49

Hey I'm coming to Corsica in early may and am looking to hike from Conca ti Vissavona, how is the snow looking so far this year?

--

Alons-y!

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Feb 15, 2017, 8:02

Hello,
If I were you I would have a regular visit to the PNRC randoblog online.
At the moment, the 10th, February, the latest post shows a very big snow cover on the high areas.
May can be, evidence can be read within the postings to this site, a tricky month for the GR20....early May even more so.
However starting in the South would give you the best chance for 'getting through'.
Try to delay your starting date and are you aware that the refuges and other services along the route may not be available until late into May.
I have just realised that yours is a six day trip to reach Vizzavona from Conca and not the full traverse. Likely to have less snow.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Feb 15, 2017, 10:06

Hi Cait,

Like Gaffr said, the first thing to do is to regularly check out the PNRC randoblog site; although their posts are rather random, it's the first place to get an update about the snow cover.
So far it's been a very snowy winter in Corsica with heavy snowfalls all over. And winter is not over yet. So unless we get an early summer, I reckon you will find - in May - large snowfields starting from Mount Alcudina. But, since you're doing only the southern section you might get lucky and find little snow past that point. But we're still in February and it's impossible to make any reliable predictions.

--Michele

Cait Holmes

Posted: Thu, Feb 16, 2017, 0:03

Thanks for the tips! I'm kind of playing it by ear and am just hoping for the best :)

--

Alons-y!

JesseRice

Posted: Thu, Feb 16, 2017, 15:42

Hi,

My friends and I are also trying to do the Southern part of the GR20 in mid May. I'll check back in soon but it's kind of hard not to decide now with plane ticket prices only going up! Anyone have recommendations on how to get to where the Southern part of the hike starts? Was thinking of flying from NYC to Marseille and then taking a ferry over.

Thanks!

--

- Jesse Rice

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Feb 16, 2017, 17:34

Only ever taken the ferry from Nice to Bastia then boarded a bus from Bastia down the East coast.
Don't know where the Marseille ferry docks?
Get off the bus at Sainte Lucie-de-Porto Vecchio. Then either phone to the La Tonnelle Refuge/camping in Conca or ask at the Bar in the village to phone through.
The navette provided by the Refuge will get you to the start.
The phone number that I have is: 04.95.71.46.55 but check this out.

--

Gaffr