Pick up food???

kazber

Posted: Wed, Feb 22, 2017, 23:05

Last morning I bought plane tickets to Calvi and from Bastia. I couldn’t wait any longer and other options didn’t work for me. Direction- north to south. First day of hike June 12, return ticket June 30, so I have extra days for changes (snow, weather). Can’t start later because my return ticket to the US is July 3. I’m 60 plus, good shape and with some experience. I always hike light and with my own shelter. Most of my multi days hikes I do with dehydrated food.

I would be very grateful if anyone could answer a few questions for me (to save time)

1- do I need reservations on campsites for my tent, and what is the price for one night? (I know it’s an old question but very important as I saw 2 weeks ago in Torres Del Paine)
2- do you filter the water?
3- is there any chance I could leave or mail my food some places (hotels, post offices, any stores) in the middle of the trail???
4- can I stay at the camp for more than one night (weather condition)?
5- if the answer to my third question is no, can I buy meals prepared by service people?
6- which sections do hikers combine most often?
7- in case I have a few free days, where do you recommend I spend those few days? (Beaches, etc.)

Thanks

--

Kaz

MrFaulty

Posted: Wed, Feb 22, 2017, 23:47

Hi, I cannot answer all of your questions as I am yet to do the hike, but as I am going at the beginning of June, I have been doing a lot of researdch, including reading two very good books on the hike - one by Paddy Dillon and one by David Abram. Both these books provide answers and I feel are invaluable.

1) I do not beleive so but am not 100% certain
2) From reading the books I see that there are springs which are safe to drink from. If drinking from a stream, filtration is strongly advised. I am carrying a steripen to be on the safe side.
3) Not sure but I doubt it.
4) I believe so as PAddy states that if the weather is poor you should not walk that day.
5) There are meals available at most of the huts - what quality I do not know.
6) Read Paddy Dillons book, this is very helpful in this regard and I suspect Davids book will be too (I am only half way through this).
7) No idea.

Good luck!

kazber

Posted: Wed, Feb 22, 2017, 23:59

MrFaulty,

Thanks !

--

Kaz

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Feb 23, 2017, 9:23

1. No booking required if carrying your own tent....get cracking early morning to get the choicest pitches although the pre pitched tents for hire have many of the best pitches. Last time I went in 2013 it was seven Euros for a night.

2. I don't have the means to filter so I boil. The several sources en-route and the refuge pipes seem to be o.k. I did not need to drink from streams but there are not that many anyway.

3. For food at the several road-end/crossings there is good food available.

4. Never had to but I guess no one can send you out in inclement conditions.

5. Yes...at each refuge. Better food choice at the Hotels and bergeries en route.

6. Never had to combine....always have allowed three weeks for the Island although I have always managed in the 15 days....so a bit at the end for relaxing and a swim at a beach.

7. On our N-S trip my wife and I spent a couple of days at Camping Pinarellu, close to the salt water, after being dropped off by the Navette from the final stage at Conca.

--

Gaffr

kazber

Posted: Thu, Feb 23, 2017, 18:44

Hello Gaffr,

Thank you very much.
You answered all my questions.
But I have two more – - if something happens to me how does the rescue response works in Corsica? Is it free or do I have to be insured? – are there mosquitoes in Corsica in this time of the year (June)?

Like I said before, I prefer to hike light. Most of the time I use hiking shoes, not boots. For this one I think I will go on merrell Moab ventilator mid (little bit more protection). Because you know the trail what is your personal opinion?

The resupply of food. In the last two years I stopped carrying solid food. Again, the weight.
So would it be a problem to buy pouches with dehydrated diners and breakfasts? Of course every few days I enjoy to eat NORMAL DINER with glass of wine or beer.

Thanks again,

Kaz

--

Kaz

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Feb 23, 2017, 21:30

Hello,
Never used the service but have been aware of folks being scooped up and flown out. I think that it is a service provided by the Police on the island? Maybe it is free? Have not taken an insurance while in Corse but perhaps I should. Euro Rescue number is 112.? Check this out./
We weren't troubled by mosquitoes but at Carozzu camping, probably the most challenging camp on the route, the ants were numerous when going from N-S but oddly no problem when travelling S-N...possibly a question of the timing. We were a week later in 2007.
I don't use the trainer type shoes...well only to change into in the evening and of course if I had a problem with my boots I could fall back on the trainers.
I'm a bit old fashioned with food (I am in my seventies) and tend to carry pasta and some tins of fish for the main meal with muesli and tea for breakfast. Like you say food can be purchased en-route and in between food can be got at the bergeries. I have taken the odd cooked dinner at say Ascu, Auberge U Vallone etc. basically at the time when I need some different food.
Not sure about the availability of the 'pouches'. Maybe available at Ascu, Castel di Vergio and at Vizzavona perhaps.

--

Gaffr

Fanta 65

Posted: Fri, Feb 24, 2017, 4:53

Hi Kaz,
we did the trail last june from Conca to Vizzavona. We did it with our own tent and had never problems with getting good pitches. We didn't carry much food and ate at the refuges and bergeries. At the refuges the meals are basically pasta and sauce, at the bergeries much better. For the daytime we bought at the refuges bread, cheese and saussiges, very good and tipical for corsica. Well, the prices in corsica are high and in the mountains even higher, because all things have to be transported by air or horse. So you can buy pasta and tinned food and cook youselve at the refuges for saving money. We never saw dehydrated food. Perhaps you can buy it at sport shops in bastia or in corte. Check out for the situation at asinau. Last year in march the refuge burned down and in june there was absolutly no service and the begerie below was completely overcrowded.
If I where you, check out for an travel-inssurance, for example in germany you can have it for twelve euros and everything is included, rescue, doctor and hospital.
We had no problems with mosquitos and ants. We heard about problems with a fox stealing food at night...

Good luck
Frank

--

Fanta 65

kazber

Posted: Fri, Feb 24, 2017, 5:17

Hi Gaffr and Frank,

Thanks guys, thank you very, very much.

As an older man, I try to prepare my hikes very well, and you have helped me a great deal. I will arrive at Calvi on Sunday, June 11th. I’m planning on spending the night at the camp, Gite D’etape. I’m afraid I won’t be able to purchase a gas canister for my MSR Pocket Rocket stove. What do you recommend I do?

Thanks again,

Kaz

--

Kaz

Fanta 65

Posted: Fri, Feb 24, 2017, 7:45

Does there exist an adapter for your MSR? So you can use Caminggas? On the other hand at any refuge you can use the cooking places for free. And than have a close look at the beginning of the trail, as hikers leave their cartridges, when they have finished.

Good luck
Frank

--

Fanta 65

Fanta 65

Posted: Fri, Feb 24, 2017, 7:45

Does there exist an adapter for your MSR? So you can use Caminggas? On the other hand at any refuge you can use the cooking places for free. And than have a close look at the beginning of the trail, as hikers leave their cartridges, when they have finished.

Good luck
Frank

--

Fanta 65

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Feb 24, 2017, 9:16

Hello,
If arriving to Calvi by boat on a Sunday? A couple of streets up from waterside area we found a small store open on Sunday where we were able to buy the 'old style' gas cans. I think that was on our 2008 arrival by boat. I am rambling a bit but the availability of the screw-on gas cans have become more widely available on the island since then.
Must confess have always taken my old type stove although I do use the screw-on type at home.
Although the big stores are closed on a Sunday it is possible to get gas cans at some filling stations and there is also the Spar store in Calinzana on the Monday morning.
Left behind gas cans with some gas inside.... I have been aware of these in Conca which is fine if you are North bound. :-)

--

Gaffr

kazber

Posted: Sat, Feb 25, 2017, 0:53

Hi Gaffr,
Hi Frank,

I’m going to arrive to Calvi by plane. Last night I found out I have travel insurance.
Looks like I’m going to start my hike with some dry food as an alternative or emergency and eat what I can buy at refuges.

Thanks for your opinion and help,

--

Kaz

kazber

Posted: Tue, Mar 7, 2017, 22:23

Hello,

I'm looking for information about when they start serving food at the refuges. I want to be sure I can buy something, since I begin my hike on June 12. I want to be sure that all places offer something.

Thanks,

--

Kaz

MrFaulty

Posted: Tue, Mar 7, 2017, 22:26

From what I undersatnd it is the beginneing of June that foo is served. But also, I have read heaps of boks, websites etc and it would appear that some of the refuges thefood is not really all that great or substantial. I am starting on 29 May and taking a heap of freeze dried meals just in case

kazber

Posted: Wed, Mar 8, 2017, 0:20

Of course, I'm going to have enough Mountain House food and energy bars for 5-6 days. I'm worrying about fuel. I'm going to fly to Calvi on Sunday and try to get to Calenzana camp on the same day.
I hope I can buy it before start my hike.

--

Kaz

MrFaulty

Posted: Wed, Mar 8, 2017, 0:31

from what I have heard fuel is readily available in that area at something called a spar shop. I am starting from the south and am also worried about fuel (gas canisters)

kazber

Posted: Wed, Mar 8, 2017, 0:37

Thank you so much for giving me hope.

--

Kaz

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Mar 8, 2017, 9:58

Hello,
For Kazber.
Not absolutely sure if the Spar shop is open on Sunday. I have managed to get gas in Calvi on a Sunday but I guess if you are arriving to Calvi airport that you would be going direct to Calenzana maybe by taxi?
If you need to have the gas from the Calenzana Spar it may perhaps not allow you have an early start on Monday Morning.

--

Gaffr

kazber

Posted: Thu, Mar 9, 2017, 0:33

Thanks Gaffr.

--

Kaz

Backstroke

Posted: Thu, Apr 6, 2017, 6:04

I recommend that you read other posts, they will answer a lot.
I also recommend that you not overthink or overplan this one, it is just not necessary. If you stay in a tent, everything is easy, particularly in June.
I did not take a stove or even a pot. They are available almost every night, so why bother?

kazber

Posted: Thu, Apr 6, 2017, 23:31

Thanks Backstroke,

I read a lot of posts and I got most of the answers. I hope I'll be able to start my hike from the north. If snow conditions are bad I may have to start in the south. I'm going to be in Calenzana on Sunday June 11 and I leave Bastia June 30.
I checked your website and I really liked your pictures. Beautiful. I couldn't believe you took them with an iPhone.

So the water is safe, I don't have to worry about any treatment.
Most of the time I hike with shoes Moab ventilators, for this one I plan to buy Salomon quest.
You wrote under one picture you regret that you have no more solid boots. This is how I understood.
Maybe I'll be ok with mid???
GR 20 is sort of a preparation for my September SOBO JMT. I also love your Sierra pictures.

Thanks again,
Kaz

--

Kaz

Backstroke

Posted: Fri, Apr 7, 2017, 4:41

Hi Kaz
The Moabs should be absolutely fine, they are plenty sturdy. Not sure where I wrote about different shoes, other than that I do prefer my Sportiva TX3's when peakbagging or off-trail. I use Wildcats but may try Raptors this year on the SHR and GR5 this summer because of they have a rock plate. To my mind, one does not need any special shoe for the GR20. Trail runners work just fine.
September is a great time for the JMT; no mosquitos, less people. There is epic snow this year that will disrupt a lot of traditional routes in June. I am enthusiastic that I can go on the Sierra High Route on hard snow in May instead of climbing around nasty talus rocks.

kazber

Posted: Sat, Apr 8, 2017, 0:50

Hi Backstroke,

Thanks. Good news that I can hike in shoes, not boots. As long as I can remember, I have always used Merrill. I checked TX 3.
There's an 8oz different; I like it. How are they on the slippery Corsican rocks? I'll be carrying 20 - 25 lb on my back, maybe less.

I saw you hiked in June but when - beginning or the end?

Thanks again,

--

Kaz