charging batteries

MrFaulty

Posted: Tue, Mar 7, 2017, 5:56

Hi, I am just wondering, are there many opportunities for charging cameras etc. I'll be camping.

Otherwise can anyone reccomend a good soalr charger for a digital SLR?

Thanks yet again
Ben

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Mar 7, 2017, 6:59

Hello,
I just have always carried a second battery for my camera. I did carry also a basic phone on my last visit....enough to get a text message back home. At Vizzavona I stayed a night in I Laricci bunkhouse (at the back of the Hotel) where there was the means to charge the unit.
Even as a camper there places en route where it would be possible to charge up a device...perhaps at Col de Verdi, Vallone, Renosu, Ascu etc. where if you take a meal it might be possible?

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Mar 7, 2017, 7:08

Just ask at the end of every day. Some places will let you charge for free, but I've also come across a notice demanding €1 per hour. Some places don't offer anything, or they just run out of space. One clever trick is to ask people coming the other way what you can expect ahead. Be aware that your devices will often be left unattended. I never heard of anything being stolen, but it is bound to happen sooner or later with all those expensive things lying around. I used a small solar charger on a recent trip. All I can say is that it was better than nothing. Got me no more than 30% charge at its very best.

MrFaulty

Posted: Tue, Mar 7, 2017, 9:33

Thanks. I was looking at a power monkey but quite expensive. My camera is very hungry and chews batteries

Backstroke

Posted: Thu, Apr 6, 2017, 5:58

From my experience in 2016 I would say that you can count on charging being available at least every third night. Best to carry your own charger and some outlets may be all taken. A multi-plug can help on that.

MrFaulty

Posted: Thu, Apr 6, 2017, 6:02

Cheers, I think I best invest in a solar charger by the sounds of things

VHodobay

Posted: Thu, Apr 6, 2017, 9:43

2016 I could charge every other night, but buy a solar charger if you need it later anyway - merely for this trip it is an overkill, I think.

Krylov

Posted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017, 12:05

Hi,
I have a similar question, but specifically for the beginning of May.
As far as I understood, the refuges will be open, although no keepers expected.
Can there be any chance for charging in between Vizzavona and Manganu at that time?

Thank you,
Denis

Backstroke

Posted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017, 18:55

I have no experience with unattended refuges, but any commercial place like a hotel or cafe will have power. For only a few days of travel you might want to consider taking a battery, then you won't need even a charger. Furthermore, ultralight hikers prefer batteries over solar chargers for trips under two weeks. The compact Anker 10000 offers four iphone charges.

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 11, 2017, 7:20

Hello,
I guess that the previous reply was suggesting taking a spare battery?....something that I have done when away for a bit for use with my camera.

Vizzavona through to Manganu has several 2000 mtr. plus cols to get over. The refuge l'Onda is around 1400 mtrs. is possibly the easiest one of the three refuges for the guardians to reach?...It looks as if the track up to Tolla would be 4x4 terrain. Petra Piana, from what I recall is at around 1800 mtrs. and Manganu refuge is is aound 1600 mtrs.
The first time on the route we went by way of the lower route and had a sharp turn to the right after Tolla to get up to l'Onda. The alterative route via the Crete, a more direct and interesting stage, has parts above 2000 mtrs.
Keep in touch with the PNRC blog to get information on the snow cover.

Assuming that you are starting your walk at Vizzavona....if the weather conditions/remaining snow are poor you do have the option of heading South from Vizzavona.

--

Gaffr

Krylov

Posted: Tue, Apr 11, 2017, 8:23

Thank you! I was trying to avoid taking big batteries, but it appears to be the only way.
Regarding the route planning, I am currently making the plans "B" and "C" in order to be flexible.
Yes, I was impressed by the latest pics from the PNRC blog..

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 11, 2017, 8:35

Hello Krylov,
Have a good trip wherever it takes you to and let us know where you got to....a wee report on here would be useful to those walking a bit later into May.

--

Gaffr

buster30

Posted: Fri, Apr 14, 2017, 11:20

I took an Anker solar panel which you can attach to your rucksack during the walk. I used that to charge a pebble portable battery pack which then charged my phone at night. Bought both for under£50

Mountain Runner

Posted: Mon, Apr 17, 2017, 22:26

We used an Anker PowerPort solar panel (21W) to charge a portable charger while we were moving during the day, and used the portable charger to charge our phones and cameras at night. As we were hiking and camping as a group of three we took turns to carry the solar panel (it weighs 0.5kg) each day.

For us it was worth the extra weight to be able to charge everything when we needed to, and at under £50 it was a worthwhile investment. I bought the solar panel specifically for our GR20 trip, but now use it all the time to get free electricity from the sun!