Travelling to calvi

FLudwig

Posted: Fri, Mar 10, 2017, 20:05

Hi guys,

Just after a little help please!

Myself and a friend are looking to walk the GR20 in early June this year (2017). We're thinking it will be best to fly to the South of France from the UK then take a Ferry to Calvi, stay the night there then get a taxi early in the morning to Calenzana to start the trek that day.
Just wondering if anybody else has travelled this way and would be able to give some advice on how to do so?

We are also concerned about the rising popularity of the trek and if we would be able to rely on refuges having sleeping accommodation for two guys who have turned up without booking..
Is it likely that we could turn up from a days walking and there be a couple of beds or one camp spot free? Or will we need to pre book our accommodation for all stages in advance before we start the trek?

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated as we are both really looking forward to hiking this trail!

Many thanks,

Freddy and Sam

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Mar 11, 2017, 8:11

Of course there are several ways to get to Corse. In 2008 after flight from Scotland to Nice we took the 'fast ferry' to Calvi from there....I am fairly sure that Calvi was a drop off port and it was heading down to Ajaccio afterwards. From what I recall this service took half the time taken by the Nice to Bastia boat that we have also used. We booked on line.
We were always the users of our own tent on our visits to the island so really have not a lot of experience of the Refuge/booking system... although since our early visits most of the Refuges and Bergeries have erected tents for hire so I guess if no space in the Refuge so long as you carry a sleeping bag you will have shelter.
From what I know of the booking system for the Refuges you do it on line prior and I think you have to do it for the entire journey.
If you go to Search on here you will find information.

--

Gaffr

Daisychain

Posted: Sat, Mar 11, 2017, 8:15

Calvi is no longer a ferry port. If you could get to Ile Rousse you could get a taxi from there or else train to Calvi: http://www.corsicabus.org/Train_services.html

FLudwig

Posted: Sun, Mar 19, 2017, 10:21

Great, cheers guys!

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Mar 19, 2017, 11:02

1 You WON'T get into a refuge in early June without booking

2 You MIGHT get a hire tent without booking

3 There will ALWAYS be space for your own tent... if you take one