Mattresses in pre erected tents

Ajay

Posted: Wed, Mar 29, 2017, 14:33

Hi Can anyone tell me about the state of the mattresses in the pre erected tents at the refuges i.e. Are they thermarest/karrimat type or old refuge mattresses? Concerned about the bed bug issue! Thanks

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Mar 29, 2017, 15:19

Hello,
As you say the mattresses are provided in each tent. I haven't stayed in one but I did help an injured walker into a tent at Carozzu....from what I recall the mattresses were of a spongy type of material.
I use a Thermarest and I have used a Karrimat in the past so would have recognised these types.
Definitely not an old refuge Mattress.
But is it the same type of mattress at each refuge?

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Mar 29, 2017, 15:45

They are thick foam mattresses with a material covering them. Comfortable enough, but fairly dirty because they get treated badly all summer, then stored in a heap somewhere all winter. Best thing to do on arrival at a fixed tent is to get the mattress out of the tent and give it a good beating. That will get rid of most of the dust, sand and grit. Clean out the groundsheet of the tent as well, then put the mattress back inside. Don't worry about bed bugs. They can't survive chilly nights outdoors.

Ajay

Posted: Thu, Mar 30, 2017, 11:09

Hi Thanks for the quick replys, much appreciated.