May GR20, North part. Some questions

ingtar

Posted: Fri, Mar 31, 2017, 10:42

Hello everyone!
I want to take north part of GR20 (Calenzana -> Vizzavona) in first week of May (2-11) and have some questions.
1) I read, that refuges is free in this period, but in http://parc-corse.org/vad/ i can make reservation ad cost for Refuge de Ortu di u piobbu (for example, for 1 day) is 14 euro. So, does it free or no?
2) Any tourists shops in Calvi or Bastia, where i can take gas fuel for cooking system? Anyway, I can take it in Nica
3) Snow is real problem for early may? I mean, does you need to walk 10 km in snow, or just some places?
4) How i can get GR20 start from Calvi? I want to start at morning (8-9) and can take a taxi, or any other options? I read about a train, but time is 12-13

Thanks!

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Mar 31, 2017, 12:37

Hello,
May can be a difficult month on the GR20....weather conditions e.g. snow at some locations etc. and of course very limited supplies available along the trail until perhaps towards the end of May.
I had look at the PNRC randoblog this morning and the images on-line of the area around Capanelle which would be the fifth day out when coming up from the South there are large amounts of snow still in place at the altitudes that you would be walking over in the North. If I were you I would pay attention to the randoblog reports. The snow tends to stay around until much later in the North.
Gas available in both places you have identified on the island and also at Calenzana Spar.
At the time you arrive in Corse if conditions appear to be still wintery in the North you would have the option of heading down to the South for a start to the Southern 6 days of travel.
You appear to be arriving in Bastia? and take the train to Calvi, change at Ponte Lecchia.
Corsica trains timetable available on-line.
There are 30 or so days for the underfoot conditions to alter. :-)

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Mar 31, 2017, 13:36

I once met some trekkers who had tried to start the GR20 late in May. The first two times they had to give up because of snow and ice. The third time it worked, and that was the time I met them, but there was still a dangerous amount of snow and ice around Capitellu. You're thinking of early May, which means you are more likely to have a problem, and of course the trail now goes much higher on Monte Cinto, where even a small amount of snow and ice is dangerous. You won't really be 'walking' through snow. It is more likely that you will be on very steep rock covered in ice, where one slip will mean certain death. This is why they almost always say not to start in May.

The refuges aren't really 'free'. When there are staff present, they take your money or check your booking details. When staff aren't present, you are invited to leave the money, although it seems most people don't. Someone has to pay for the upkeep of the buildings.

SQFP

Posted: Fri, Mar 31, 2017, 21:10

This is what the northern part of the GR20 would look like in early May, on an average year:
http://imgur.com/a/w4Qwe

Still many slippery snowfields above 6000ft/1800m... Better stick with the southern part.

--

Geology in Corsica

ingtar

Posted: Sun, Apr 2, 2017, 12:29

Thanks for all of you, at this moment i will start to think about plan "South"
And first problem is situation about de l'Asinao refuge. It was destroyed last year and i cant find any news for 2017 May time...
Does any options around?

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 2, 2017, 13:46

Nearest to the destroyed Asinao are the bergeries Asinao a private place offering beds etc.....open?
Definitely not available for out of season use in the way that the PNRC ones are.
Anything else would mean a longer days walk.
Croce bergeries, Matalza or the open San Petru Chapelle perhaps. Possibly the open San Petru is your only bet here? since all the others are non PNRC properties.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Apr 2, 2017, 15:28

Yes, if you want to stay indoors, you will have a problem in the south in May. The shelter beside the Chapelle San Petru has nothing but a table and a hard floor, so you will need a sleeping bag, mattress, food, stove, pots and pans. In fact, everything you would need for camping, except a tent. It would probably be better to take a tent, so that you don't get stuck anywhere. Even if you could get a booking at Bassetta, you would still have to be able to get there from Bavella, which would be a hard day.

ingtar

Posted: Mon, Apr 3, 2017, 12:01

You are right, so i take a tent.
Also it help me in other places. I asked admin of pnrc blog about tent place and water in refuges asinao and capanelle. He told me that is ok:

Possibilité de planter la tente à asinao et capanelle et il y a de l'eau

last big question is bus from Bastia to Conca
http://www.corsicabus.org/busPVecchio/PVE_Bastia.html
It arrive to Ste Lucie, it is 6km far away from GR20 start.
Any bus or taxi in Ste Lucie?

I will try to contact Office de Tourisme Zonza Ste Lucie de Porto Vecchio....

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 3, 2017, 13:35

Hello,
La Tonnelle in Conca is the Gite and camping at the start when coming up from the South.
They have a navette that will get you up to Conca from Sainte Lucie de PV.
I haven't their phone number to hand but when I arrived by bus at Sainte Lucie I asked the folks at the local bar to contact them by phone.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Apr 3, 2017, 18:20

Gite Le Tonnelle at Conca - website http://www.gite-la-tonnelle.com - phone +33 (0)4 95 71 46 55

VHodobay

Posted: Thu, Apr 6, 2017, 10:36

snow may be a problem, gradients are mostly steep

ingtar

Posted: Mon, May 15, 2017, 20:22

Thanks for all of you, finish my track week ago (GR20 South with some changes and Corte-Porto route)
It was awesome!