things to see and do

MrFaulty

Posted: Fri, Apr 7, 2017, 9:28

Hi again, I am walking the GR 20 from South to North in June. at the end I'll hopefully have a couple of days to spare; I am looking for advice for best places to see around Calvi and/or Bastia (I don't think I'll have enough time to go elsewhere).

thanks
Ben

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Apr 7, 2017, 11:54

I guess that everyone has their own way of getting back into the life again after a longish walking tour.
All of the folks who came back down to Calenzana after doing S-N seemed to disappear after having some refreshments in the village.
I just like to ease back into things so spent another night camping at the municipal camping in the village. Checked out Santa Restituda Chap. and a few other things locally.
Walked into Calvi next day had a breakfast in a wee café, lazed by the boats in the harbour, had a bit of fish based lunch and took the train and then walked out past the Poretta airport to stay for a couple of days at Esperanza camping. Borrowed a bike and checked out the First stage of Le tour into towards Bastia a week prior to the event taking place. Had a wee look into the Reserve Naturelle and the Cathedrale la Canonica prior to the flight back to Manchester.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Apr 7, 2017, 17:31

Personally - I can't resist getting on the train and traveling the entire 'network'. That's a whole day of entertainment.

Backstroke

Posted: Sat, Apr 8, 2017, 6:18

I think taking a rest day in Corte, at the midpoint of the hike, is well worth it. Skip the museum however...

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Apr 8, 2017, 8:30

On our first trip N-S we had a day off to use the train to reach Ajaccio for a bit of re-supply. Others on the trail went down to Corte by train and came back with a good report of a day out in Corte.
We caught up with Corte when walking the Mare a Mare Nord walk and had an interesting day in the town before heading for the Tavignano up to Sega.
Thanks for being able to view the very fine images of your trip to the Sierra summits shown on your website.....amazing clarity on a phone camera.

--

Gaffr

Backstroke

Posted: Sun, Apr 9, 2017, 2:43

Thanks for the comments about the photos. The iphone is a wonderful camera if you work within its limits, and good light is always key.
I should have mentioned Ajaccio as another destination possible via the north-south train. I enjoyed my time there in the older city, not spectacular perhaps, but the tourist part has a nice connection to the water. I did make the mistake of spending my first night in a budget hotel at the edge of town, and it felt both depressing and dangerous. Best to stick within a half-mile radius of the old town.

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 9, 2017, 9:54

The camp site in Corte that we used was on the other side of the Tavignano river and gave easy access to the Citadelle by a steep wee path up through the terrain. Not more than three hundred metres from the camping, Chez Bartho,?and relatively quiet in the middle of June.

--

Gaffr

MrFaulty

Posted: Sun, Apr 9, 2017, 22:50

Thanks for the suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ben