More on the status of Asinau for this season.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 17, 2017, 10:59

Hello,
I contacted the PNRC folks regarding the current situation of the Refuge Asinau.

The reply that I got was.....
Le Refuge Asinau n'est pas reconstruit mais une structure d'accueil est mis place pour vous accueillir, tente type marabout.
I guess that roughly translates as..... the refuge has not been reconstructed but is a structure for your pleasure to use of the type ....rounded tent with a conical roof....wigwam/ or ' can't recall the larger version of these?

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, Apr 17, 2017, 12:58

Thank you Roger for the update. I guess the situation is not improved that much in all this time. The pic at the following link shows how the area was last year http://oi63.tinypic.com/2mrxkau.jpg. Also there "should" be a new shower/toilet block (like the one at Carrozzu maybe?), but don't quote me on that.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 17, 2017, 15:37

Hello Michele,
Asinau was different in 2013 comparing it to what we found in 2007.
The toilets at Asinau in 2013 were similar to those that we found in Carozzu but the wash and shower area were in need of an upgrade.
From what Carozzu had in 2007 the upgrade in 2013 of both showers and toilets were very welcome.
The shower in 2007 was a hosepipe behind a rough curtain arrangement and the toilets were rudimentary.
I guess that wash area and toilets would have not been affected by the fire that destroyed the main refuge.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Apr 21, 2017, 8:10

Hello,
I wonder just how others folks around here interpret this statement coming from PNRC?

'We inform you that the site of Asinao.....Mid May opening etc.
Therefore if you intend to perform the GR20 before that date plan to be self sufficient for this step (stage)'.

Do you think that this means that other stage overnights will be staffed earlier than the 15th, May?....and do you think that this may just apply to the GR20 South?

I appreciate the difficulties to be found on several stages owing to the snow cover still lingering despite the warm conditions on the Island. It must be very difficult to give an 'all go' message for all refuges.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Sat, Apr 22, 2017, 21:04

I understand that that sentence is prone to misunderstandings. In my opinion they just meant that the site of Asinau will definitely be unavailable before the 15th May. This doesn't necessarily mean that all other refuges will be open, although, around that time of the month they might begin to open.

Inguna

Posted: Fri, Apr 28, 2017, 11:31

But usually all refuges were open all around year, isn't so? Or this is about Git d'Etape?

--

Inguna

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Apr 28, 2017, 12:17

Hello,
Only open and staffed during the 'season for trekkers' .....Mid may usually until nowadays perhaps into early October?
The PNRC refuges are open during the rest of the year for shelter, if you can clear the snow from the entrances but no staff present or facilities offered.
Gite d'Etape can also be a privately owned building which will be completely closed outside the season.

--

Gaffr

Inguna

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 6:25

I Croci is opened now after our stay on My 3rd :) Guys were there first day, so we had possibility to stay there.
Also Bocca di Verde was oper first day. This is info in case, if somebody needs place to stay.

--

Inguna