Any thoughts about fox repellents?

Michele

Posted: Tue, Apr 18, 2017, 16:43

It's been a few years now that we got reports of fox attacks at night in some of the camping places of the GR20.
Given for granted that the wise hiker as a first line of defense will not leave any (smelly or not) food in the tent antichamber, what are your thoughts about additional strategies to keep those predators away?

How about some fox repellent sprays? What do you think? Any direct experience? What do you think of the "Inspired Fox Repellent"?

Thanks for your contributions

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 19, 2017, 13:50

My daughter used some sort of Bear spray when she was based in Canada. Perhaps something like this product would do for foxes?
She is working in the Hebrides at the moment so I will ask her about this when we next have contact.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Apr 19, 2017, 14:11

Thanks Roger. The foxes' attacks seem a little underrated but are becoming an issue that should be faced.

kazber

Posted: Thu, Apr 20, 2017, 23:14

I have never been in Corsica but I have some experience with bears. What we do is we hang food on the trees or on the Wonderland Trail rangers installed a rigid electrical conduit with hooks on the top so you can hang your food. Bear containers are used in California.

I have a question. Are there trees in each camp? I'm going to have some food with me and I don't want to lose it.

--

Kaz

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Apr 21, 2017, 5:14

I have noticed some people hanging bags of food in all sorts of places - on the campsite fence at Vergio or in tree branches at Manganu. There aren't always places to hang things, but there aren't always problems with foxes either. The main thing is not to leave food where they can get it - by whatever means. I've never been pestered by foxes, even when they've been causing problems for other trekkers. Maybe it's because of the sort of food I carry, or the way I store it. A chocolate bar kept well under wraps is going to attract far less attention than a ripe cheese and slices of ham left loosely wrapped under a tent flysheet. Come to think of it, you could send foxes away from your tent by scattering bits of ham around everyone else's tents.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Apr 21, 2017, 7:40

GR20 is correct not all overnights seem to have the fox problem.

The only place where I have been raided by a fox was at Bonifatu when on the Mare e Monti trail....my entire bag with food contents was snatched during the night...the fox ripped into it and took what he was interested in and the rest was scattered over wide area. I must have slept soundly on that night!
At a known sight for fox visits, at Vergio, folks staying in the Hostel place stored my food bag in there overnight. On another visit to Vergio no problems when some other campers had two dogs sleeping under their tent flysheet. There was a raid by Foxy when I was at Manganu and at least one person lost more than his food.
Those overnights where there is next to no trees would be at Ciotullu di I Mori, Prati and Asinao as I recall.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Apr 21, 2017, 15:03

There was a fox going round the tents at Pedinieddi many years ago. The trouble with that place is that it's just a huge rubbish dump. The refuge was destroyed in a storm god knows how long ago, and although the PNRC allow free camping, they have no staff there. As a result, the whole area gets used as a toilet and rubbish gets thrown everywhere. Just what you need to attract foxes.

Michele

Posted: Fri, Apr 21, 2017, 19:20

Thanks everybody for your contribution. Like I said in my opening post, I will never leave any food to be easily accessible; so hanging a sack on a tree or leaving the backpack inside the refuge is the wisest thing to do.
However still I don't feel confortable that this will make me feel safe. Foxes can be unpredictable and it's not the first time that they break into a tent just to rummage around.
That's why my original question ..

--Michele