Carry on problems?

Silversurfer

Posted: Tue, Apr 18, 2017, 18:47

Heard of some problems with tents (pegs and poles being seized) in carry on luggage. Some reports say they got through fine,others ended with problems. I am aware of baggage restrictions and any information would be great.

--

Silversurfer

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Apr 18, 2017, 19:03

This is what happened on my last two trips to Corsica -

The first trip, I decided to take carry-on luggage only. Just my backpack for the trek. I didn't take trekking poles because I didn't want to risk having them confiscated. Everything got through on the outward flight. I really wished I had the poles, so it was a mistake to leave them at home. Coming home was different, and the x-ray people made me empty my pack. They didn't like my tent pegs, which were expensive titanium ones. One of the staff was feeling how sharp they were, so I just grabbed a peg and tried to stab myself in the hand with it. "Not sharp" I said, and they let me take them home.

Latest trip, I just put everything into the hold and paid the extra money. I wanted my pegs, poles, sharp knife and everything. It was worth the extra money just to know that I would have everything for the trip, and not end up having things confiscated.

I know someone who uses a trekking pole that looks like an old-fashioned walking stick. He is an old man and he says no-one ever stopped him taking it on the aircraft. I guess they might stop a younger person.

Silversurfer

Posted: Tue, Apr 18, 2017, 19:42

I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and pay the extra even though it's a pain paying/waiting for baggage,mind you have the knowledge that all your own gear works when you need it to. When I retire I could set up a great little earner selling minibus rides to Calanzena and selling tent accessories!
Thanks again, GRRR 20.

--

Silversurfer

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 19, 2017, 6:41

I thought at first that you were planning a new film in the series....Carry on in a flight to Corse.

You English folks are skinflints. :-) Pay up and take some proper kit with you for use on Corse.
Are you the same folks that I read about in the Walker's web sites who want to have 'Mickey Mouse' maps for free instead of paying for the real thing i.e. the OS in GB? :-)
You don't have to wait long for your rucksack in Bastia ...a small airport...very quick turn around there.
Mind your I have had thoughts at times of arriving on an island and finding out that my 'sack had somehow not being put into the hold etc. and having no fixed address to deliver it to etc. Total worldly possessions adrift in some airport and out of reach. All that I have to keep me alive for the next fifteen days or so, apart from some Euros, and with the prospect of hanging around an airport until the 'sack arrives. It would upset a very tight schedule. Certainly wouldn't have enough money to go into Bastia, on a Sunday...no chance, to get some replacement kit.

--

Gaffr

Silversurfer

Posted: Wed, Apr 19, 2017, 14:54

Gaffr,

Thank you for your well thought out observations/assumptions.

--

Silversurfer

Backstroke

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 3:58

I carried everything onboard as I was scheduled to have 90 minutes to clear customs and make it across Nice to the ferry. As it turned out, I only had 45 minutes when I landed! No way could I have made it if I had checked baggage. I carried carbon stakes that only have aluminum tips, and my mostly carbon poles are three-section ones, to which I affixed the rubber booties in case I got checked, and wrapped them tightly in my tent. I had no problems, and most report that section poles don't catch attention. I fly enough so that I generally assume that something will go wrong.

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 19:17

Hello Backstroke,
Amazing that you can get all your kit including camping stuff into the cabin of the aircraft.
You must have very lightweight components. What is it now around 10kgs of hand luggage into the cabin? and that you have to conform to the size and shape of the sack?
My own sack has to go into the luggage hold and I take a canvas shopping bag with my boots and a few small items into the seated area.
Could it be that the allowance for the 'in cabin' bag varies with different airlines.
Myself, I have only ever travelled to Corsica on two airlines to reach Bastia. BA who used to run a service to Poretta and the budget airline Easyjet.

--

Gaffr

Silversurfer

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 18:32

Backstroke,

Big thanks! We are going hand luggage only now,have ditched the expensive lightweight pegs and going to buy some en route or use natural pegs!(used before,bags with rocks or soil).Our kit weights in at 10kgs to get through the Ryanair nasties en route. I plan to enjoy the GR20 and add to the Corsican economy Coming from Ireland I know too well how you can get delayed when transferring through Gatwick!

--

Silversurfer

Backstroke

Posted: Wed, May 10, 2017, 4:38

@Gaffr: Yes, my total bag weight was around 5kg, I also carried around 2kg of food, and it fit in every hold without a problem. I wore my trail runners. Why carry more? Life is good...

@Silversurfer: Why not try taking on the pegs? The worst that can happen is that they take them away-

Bruce the Kiwi

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 23:02

I good idea is to put your poles, pegs and knife in a cardboard mailing tube and check it in.

Or roll them in a groundsheet or mat, secured with your gaffer tape.

This way you can carry on your pack (it should be less than 8kg anyway). Avoid risk of bag loss and avoid risk of confiscation of vital kit by aviation security.

--

Kiwi Bruce
"Feeling LOW?
Go on mountains.”
― Prajakta Mhadnak