Reservations for September

Isabel S

Posted: Sun, Apr 23, 2017, 17:28

Hello!! I would like to do the GR20 in September. Can I book the refuges with so anticipation? I tried it, but the page didn't work.
Or shall I carry a (light) tent?
Thank you.

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Apr 23, 2017, 17:57

They don't like people to book far ahead. The booking page doesn't work outside the main trekking season, but keep trying, because one day they will suddenly make it active.

Isabel S

Posted: Sun, Apr 23, 2017, 18:51

If I find that the page doesn't work (for instance, in August), is it risky to go without a reservation?
Thank you for your help.

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 23, 2017, 20:08

Hello,
Almost certainly to be working before June and accepting bookings....personally I always carry a small tent to avoid all of this. Also pre pitched tents can be hired at most refuges. :-)

--

Gaffr

Isabel S

Posted: Sun, Apr 23, 2017, 21:45

I am starting to look for a small tent, like a shed. I'll try to carry one just in case I have any problem with the accommodation.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 24, 2017, 8:37

I would have thought that the GR20 would be less busy during September? So probably not the pressure on the refuges?

No direct experience of this on the entire GR20 but during the MM Central in 2011 we crossed the ridge between Usciolu and Asinau and it did not appear to be very busy...also afterwards we did the more direct route connecting Bavella with Asinao and later Monte Renosu from Capanelle....definitely not the same number of folks around that we experienced in June and July in previous years.
Just two other folks on Monte Renosu.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Apr 25, 2017, 6:24

A couple of years ago in September, it was ridiculously busy. I thought I would go at that time because it would be quieter. The trouble was, everyone else thought the same. Previously, I did a short stretch in October, when everything was closed. I still saw a few trekkers each day.

Michele

Posted: Tue, Apr 25, 2017, 7:09

The trail is more and more popular each passing year. In the early years June and September were the quiet months. Now it's probably only May and October.

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Apr 26, 2017, 6:33

A busy GR20 in May is always going to be a problem, especially now that the route goes so high on Monte Cinto. The first time I trekked the trail was at the end of May one year. I made a detour to climb Monte Cinto and had to kick steps up 600m of snow to get there.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 26, 2017, 7:51

Hello,
You have a very valid observation there GR20.

Going by the old route the high point, just before descending into the Cirque, at Bocca Tumasginesca the altidute is around 2,200 mtrs. and similar at the exit Bocca Minuta whereas the high point on the new route is around 2,600 mtrs. and a bit more if topping out on Monti Cintu.
Snow cover with an overnight frost?....and the slopes are North Facing if coming from the Haut Ascu.
In 2008 on the 12th, of June I had steps to kick when going to Cintu from Haut Ascu although the snow was beginning to soften.

--

Gaffr

Isabel S

Posted: Wed, Apr 26, 2017, 21:37

Just a question: is it the way to Cirque of Solitude still working? For me, it could be the worst moment.
I think I'll definitely carry a tent, unless I have sure that there is a place in the refuges.

Isabel S

Posted: Wed, Apr 26, 2017, 21:37

Just a question: is it the way to Cirque of Solitude still working? For me, it could be the worst moment.
I think I'll definitely carry a tent, unless I have sure that there is a place in the refuges.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 27, 2017, 5:04

Hello,
The passage of stage 4 via the Cirque would be an even worst moment for most folks nowadays since the cables and probably the route markers were removed following the tragic events in 2015.
Stage 4 is now re-routed via the high ground on Monti Cintu. The route has been fixed with cables for small sections and is well marked. You should have no problems with conditions when you arrive there in September given the usual weather then.
I went by this way in 2011 to the top of Cintu and enjoyed this passage.
Don't know what guide-book you will use but the Cicerone Paddy Dillon updated version has the details of all of this within. I still only have an old copy of this guide but I do have a copy of the amended stage 4 in my PC somewhere.

--

Gaffr