Crampons in half May (GR20 North)

Jurrens

Posted: Sun, Apr 23, 2017, 19:00

Bonjour guys,

I hope you can help us out! From May 14-20, me and two other friends are going to walk the GR20 North, from Vizzavona to Calenzana. We got two questions about that:

1. Do you advise to bring crampons and/or an axe during this time of the year? It seems that snow can occur on the higher parts, but we are not sure if it is a big necessity.

2. Is it possitble to rent crampons somewhere close to the (GR20 North) route?

Thanks in advance!

Jurrens
Netherlands

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 23, 2017, 20:13

Advice is to keep in touch with the regular images of the terrain shown on the http://randoblogpnrc.blogspot.co.uk/

--

Gaffr

Jurrens

Posted: Wed, Apr 26, 2017, 20:15

Thanks! And what about renting crampons? Is it possible to rent them somewhere close to the (GR20 North) route?

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 27, 2017, 5:17

Hello,
I have really no idea where you could rent crampons on the island and are you familiar and practiced with using them?

In 2013 when there was still large snowfields around I started from the South in Conca to avoid the problems in the North. By the time I arrived there things had settled down greatly.
I did meet many folks carrying crampons but not many seemed to use them choosing instead to take the navette available at Ascu to get around the stage 4 (N-S ) and then continue the route from Vallone.
Those coming from the South went down to Calasima to avoid the Stage 4 as an option.
When I arrived to Vallone in the middle of June the passage on stage four was fine.

--

Gaffr