Latest from the randoPNRC website.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 27, 2017, 6:53

Updated yesterday. We are just a few days short of May!
If you are heading for the GR20 in early May this would be important.
Please check out this site.

It would appear to be that the first stages of the GR20 both North and South are possible without crampons. It would also seem that all other stages, at the moment, require the use of crampons.

--

Gaffr

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 0:08

I checked the website today and there are pictures from the 2nd may, looking very pleasant no mention of bad snow condition.
So looks promising, no dreadful late winter on the gr20 this year?

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 6:28

Hello Gaston,
I thought the same way after looking at the latest few PNRC reports. Lots of tree cutting of fallen timber at various sections and the mention of snow above 1900 mtrs. That would indicate a couple of hundred metres altitude where snow would be a problem perhaps.... excepting of course the route to Ascu over the Cintu area that takes you above 2,500 mtrs.
The snow appears to have melted away very quickly this year. I can't recall when you went to the GR20 but the snow in 2013 lasted well into the middle of June on the higher areas of the route.
I had been expecting some sort of reporting from those folks who were travelling on the route in early May this year. Maybe they, like me, don't have the 'up to date ways' of getting messages through. :-)

--

Gaffr

Inguna

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 6:47

Hi!
I just finished South. Due to snow - didn't went Prati-Usciolu. But did Basetti - Bavela. Still snow over 1800 m near Mount Mountignolu ( ?) before Asinau, but manageable.
From Vizzavona to Bocca di Verde lot of fallen trees.

--

Inguna

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 8:57

Hello Inguna,
Very useful to have a report from someone there in amongst it all.
Were all or just some of the refuges open for business?
How did you 'get around' Prati-Usciolu?....to get to Basseta.
Basseta bergeries was open?
Snow at 1800 mtrs. near to Monti Alcudina also on the map as Monte Incudine?
Did you meet many other trekkers?
I guess fallen trees can present real time consuming obstacles until they are cut-up and cleared away.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 13:29

Yes, Inguna, please give us your trip report with useful info for our readers. Thank you

--Michele

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 5:32

I was on the GR20 in september 2015, so not a flake of snow in sight although the nights were getting cold.

I am more or less expecting some extended snow patches in early June, the only stage I am really worried about is Haut Asco to Tighjettu, taking me up to around 2500 metres or thereabouts and I don't want to encounter any ice

I will be armed with trekking poles but not crampons or an Ice axe, fingers crossed the thaw continues!