Northern section in ~7 days

JPowellzy

Posted: Thu, Apr 27, 2017, 11:34

Hi there,

My friend and I would like to do the northern half of the GR 20. We have approximately 7 days (could add or take a day either side).

Where is the best place to start if we would like to finish by getting a ferry to Nice?
Should we go south and head off from Vizzavona to Ajaccio, or go north from Vizzavona and get the ferry from Bastia?
Also we don't have a car, is public transport/ hitching easy to and from Vizzavona/ the northern start point?

Also regarding food, is it possible to buy food like noodles/ pasta to cook yourself along the way? As the €25/meal at the refuges is out of our price range.

Thanks a lot in advance.

--

J

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 27, 2017, 15:26

Hello,

Not sure exactly where you are arriving on the Island?....do you arrive at Bastia on the ferry?
The other question would be ....in what month are you coming to Corsica?
Probably 99% of the folks going to the GR20 don't have cars on the Island....so the tracking down of the public transport times is a very important part of the needs when on the Island especially so when you have just seven days to work with.

--

Gaffr

JPowellzy

Posted: Fri, Apr 28, 2017, 10:29

Hi Gaffr,

I will be travelling from Ajaccio to spend a week near there and then start the walk in early July.

Thanks

--

J

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Apr 28, 2017, 10:53

Hello JP,
No problem then by using the train from Ajaccio to get to Vizzavona and then start your trek. I think if I were you I would have a shorter stay in the area of the town and allow a few more days for your walk.
At the finish in Calenzana get down to Calvi or near to and take the train back to Bastia with a change in Ponte Leccia.

--

Gaffr

buster30

Posted: Sat, Apr 29, 2017, 17:40

Hi, I recommend you read my report posted on here. We did the North from Vizzavona to Calenzana last year then caught a taxi to Calvin and a ferry to Nice. Easy!

JPowellzy

Posted: Sun, Apr 30, 2017, 14:04

Hi there, would you be able to link me to your report? Thanks

--

J

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 1, 2017, 5:07

Page 5. GR20....Buster 30. on the GR20 Forum on here.
A wee shuffle backwards to locate this entry. :-)

--

Gaffr