Re-supply at mid point of walk - posting parcel ahead

Mark B

Posted: Mon, May 1, 2017, 18:56

Hi
Is there a convenient mid way point to post re-supplies to? (Vizzavona? or other?)
Can I post a parcel there to be held for me?
Many Thanks

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 2, 2017, 7:19

Hello,
Vizzavona is the most likely place to collect since it has a station.
I have never sent a parcel ahead for collection but on one occasion my wife sent home some kit at Haut Ascu and I am fairly certain that she collected it at Bastia station before connecting with the Ferry. That was with help from the lady at the shop in the refuge area who I think kindly took the parcel down to Ponte Leccia to the railway station.
Also Marif sent home a parcel of unneeded items from a small post office in Partinello, while walking on the Mare e Monti, the parcel was at home when we got back to Scotland.

--

Gaffr

Mark B

Posted: Tue, May 2, 2017, 10:12

Ah - so it may be possible to have a parcel held at a (railway?) station.
Thank you for the reply

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, May 2, 2017, 20:16

You can send parcels 'poste restante' to post offices easily enough, but you have to write your name the way the French like it to be written, or it may end up in the wrong alphabetical pigeon hole at the post office. The correct way is along the lines of 'M. SURNAME, Firstname' and you also have to give the full name of the post office and write 'Poste Restante' on it. Of course, there isn't a post office at Vizzavona, so if you want to send a parcel to someone in the village, I would contact them first and see if they'll agree to take it. I once wanted to send a parcel to a hostel, and although they said they'd accept it, when I got there they just handed me a postal receipt, and I lost a whole weekend waiting for the post office to open so that I could collect. The guy at the hostel just said he was afraid my parcel might have contained drugs. I could have given him the 'do I look like a druggie' spiel, but he would probably have said 'yes'.